+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turntable isolation project

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Spikes do not isolate. They do the opposite, they couple.
    I'm using these (http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php...set-4-pcs.html), and they describe them as "solid brass cones with black chrome plating effectively isolate components from vibration caused by speakers".
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Andrew.

I use Bamboo chopping boards, not a massive difference but for the money, well worthwhile.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Excellent observation. Matches my impressions. The real improvement in sound is in the way it becomes more 'liquid' (for the lack of a better word). This 'fluidity' or 'liquid sound' is very hard to describe, but when you hear it, everything becomes clear.

I also agree with you that it is something that goes beyond the analytical details. Details do help deliver that liquid sound, but it can also happen that those details, if presented in a different fashion, could become distracting. That's when the sound becomes 'analytical' and 'cold'. Hard to explain why that happens with some configurations, but I have definitely experienced it.

I also know people who prefer that 'cold' and 'analytical' sound over 'warm', 'liquid' and 'fluid' sound. So there isn't a universal criteria for quality in sound reproduction.

It's the same with food -- some people prefer more greasy, oily food, while others are more into lean tasting food.
    I quite agree, getting a system to generate a musical and engaging sound is not an easy or a simple task. I have recently made minor changes to my turntable and I am pleased to say that it has enriched the sound overall, or should I say musicality to my ears.

I have also started to look at replacing/upgrading the cartridge. I have spent a great deal of time reading reviews and talking with people to try and get a feel for whether a cartridge has a tendency for a clinical or hard sound. This whole process is IMO a can of worms and very difficult to get a straight answer from anyone. For me the only answer has been to talk with trusted audiophile/hifi friends who have personal experience and one or two dealers. I have persevered and managed to get a home trial, nearly impossible in the cartridge domain, although I have managed to arrange two. Hopefully I will end up spending my hard earned cash on a cartridge that gives me a musical experience and a few years of pleasure. What I do find frustrating is that I have just had to ignore some cartridges because I cannot get to here them or get any clear answer about their traits, so I may have passed a good option by as a result, I cannot afford to spend £1.5-2.5k on something that turns out to be a pup.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Josie.

How about the sound dead steel supports? I'm looking at trying some but not sure if they would make a difference.

My problem is my amp being on the same shelf as my TT so I need to isolate it... But the question is, do I isolate the amp or the TT?

Or both?

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    How about the sound dead steel supports? I'm looking at trying some but not sure if they would make a difference.

My problem is my amp being on the same shelf as my TT so I need to isolate it... But the question is, do I isolate the amp or the TT?

Or both?

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    I have just read an interesting paper on how the Belladonna TT was designed, a highly respected price of kit that his very musical. The key point of it all is vibration getting to or in a turntable is to be avoided at all costs, so I would say do everything to isolate and stop vibration getting to the TT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12