+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need help with market entry (UK)

I'm Eigirdas.

Default I need help with market entry (UK)

Hi, everyone,

you might find it as a weird question, but...I'm a Lithuanian artist and I'm finally thinking to open my art gallery in the UK. It was a hard decision to make, but I think I'm finally ready. However, even though I have lived in the UK for a several years, I know not much about how to run a successful business here. Today, I even tried to reach https://pointoneintl.com/ that helps with localization, market entry and etc., but still no answer. So I thought maybe you know even more similar companies (best in the UK) that could help with such question. In a word, I have no idea in which city should I open my gallery, what documentation I need and etc.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by EigirdD View Post
    Hi, everyone,

you might find it as a weird question, but...I'm a Lithuanian artist and I'm finally thinking to open my art gallery in the UK. It was a hard decision to make, but I think I'm finally ready. However, even though I have lived in the UK for a several years, I know not much about how to run a successful business here. Today, I even tried to reach https://pointoneintl.com/ that helps with localization, market entry and etc., but still no answer. So I thought maybe you know even more similar companies (best in the UK) that could help with such question. In a word, I have no idea in which city should I open my gallery, what documentation I need and etc.
    Hmm that company website you linked is about help with international trade, do you intend to import art for the gallery ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Eigirdas.

Yes, I'm planning to import all my art and it's actually a lot. But in general, I need a company that would help to deal with the whole process, since I do not know where to start.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by EigirdD View Post
    Yes, I'm planning to import all my art and it's actually a lot. But in general, I need a company that would help to deal with the whole process, since I do not know where to start.
    Right now there is no duty if you import any goods from europe to the UK. If you are serious I would pull your finger out if I were you.

Then you just need to find a suitable premises. There is a VAT scheme for art where you only have to pay on profits. Doesn’t look like rocket science.

http://www.act.london/galleries-business-model/

I'm Geoff.

Before you invest in any property I'm assuming that you have done some market testing for your work. Have you tried selling any of your work through another dealer or gallery and do you have any sense of the prices your work could command. Also, there are important regional differences in the UK so that what might sell for £200 in the South East, might struggle selling for £40 in the North West. Do you have a sense of where you would set up a gallery.

Have you considered starting out as an online venture? That would probably be the way I would go if I was setting up an art business in the UK, although in truth I probably wouldn't be doing it until there was greater clarity on where we end up re the EU.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Before you invest in any property I'm assuming that you have done some market testing for your work. Have you tried selling any of your work through another dealer or gallery and do you have any sense of the prices your work could command. Also, there are important regional differences in the UK so that what might sell for £200 in the South East, might struggle selling for £40 in the North West. Do you have a sense of where you would set up a gallery.

Have you considered starting out as an online venture? That would probably be the way I would go if I was setting up an art business in the UK, although in truth I probably wouldn't be doing it until there was greater clarity on where we end up re the EU.
    Online is a good shout. Whilst the whole UK brexit is remarkably still in the air these advice firms are not going to be able to advise you without some legal caveats which will make their services useless in my opinion.

This site has lots of useful information, although you may need to assume the guidance here for importing art outside of the EU will then be also pertinent to importing art from inside the EU post brexit.

https://www.artbusinessinfo.com/how-...r-artists.html

I'm Paul.

I've bought art from a website called art finder and found the whole process effortless. Of course that's as a buyer and maybe the fees are high as seller (I wouldn't know) one of the artists I bought from was based in the Netherlands. The painting was shipped to the UK at my cost.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

+ Reply to Thread