+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Dac?

I'm Marc.

Over the last 4 years or so I've been trying many DACs to achieve a sound quality that is natural and unforced. So many DACs in my opinion have a sharp, forced and highly etched quality to them that produces a very unnatural sound. I came across a CASEA DAC by accident by winning one of their older models on eBay. I was so surprised to find it so natural and relaxed I later bought their latest model from their website. For the money it is quite outstanding, beating all my friends DACs up to £4000 for naturalness and musicality. Spending more will give you a better sound but for £1500 direct from the manufacturer it is quite outstanding. The only limiting factor is it only has a USB input and won't do DSD or MQA, again for me this is not a problem because it sounds so good.

I'm Geoff.

My Technics SH-X1000

Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Robin.

Borrowing an Aqua La Scala next week. An r2r I believe....
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    My Technics SH-X1000

You do like that dac don't you

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS View Post
    Currently using a Beresford Caiman 11 with a recently added on dorado power supply thanks to Stan and it sounds really good to me now particularly with the recent chip upgrade

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I've got exactly the same...still in system after 8 months....but in the back of my mind I feel I'm missing out on something..or is it old age?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    You do like that dac don't you
    Oh yes!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    My Technics SH-X1000

A work of art combined with a technical tour de force. Lovely
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Mike.

I have a Topping D50s.

Plays any format and does a decent job, all for buttons.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Alan.

I've upgraded from a Topping D50 to a Topping D90 and absolutely loving it.

I'm Charlie.

Having finally gone digital a few months ago, I now use a Prism Sound Lyra 2 interface. Prism Sound have made some of the best audio interfaces for the last 15 years, and their gear is used in major recording studios across the world.

This is a 2 channel A2D with identical circuitry to the high end multi channel Orpheus and Titan interfaces. The DAC end is the same as the Prism Sound Callia DAC, which has gained good reviews over the last 2 years. Headphone amp is also excellent, as you would expect from a pro studio item. Bizarrely the Lyra 2 is cheaper than the Call, but I suppose that's pro studio vs hi-fi pricing for you.

I bought this mainly as a interface to archive my R2R tapes. But the digital files sound pretty much indistinguishable from the 15 IPS master tape. So I'm pretty happy with this.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast