+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Dac?

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Surprising that of the 99 posts few have been the same. Need to do this with other units...maybe headphones next, or phono stages..
    Especially when some parts of the Hi-Fi press seem to put a couple of DACs on a pedestal (MDAC and Chord for example) with the implication that little else is worth trying. Great to see that so many people are getting such enjoyment from such a wide range.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    Especially when some parts of the Hi-Fi press seem to put a couple of DACs on a pedestal (MDAC and Chord for example) with the implication that little else is worth trying. Great to see that so many people are getting such enjoyment from such a wide range.
    indeedy.. its like if your dont follow their instructions you are not at the party. Trouble with big site and even smaller site reviewers is you dont really know the relationship between reviewer and company, so well worth taking with a pinch of salt.

I like to look at a product and see how many are available second hand, especially nearly new ones. Gives you a better gauge of how good it actually is
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

I love the second hand market - it means you can buy & try for a while and then get something else, without losing much or any money in the process. It's allow me to try a couple of DACs I don't think I would have had if I'd bought new .... but the same is true for most Hi-Fi. There's not much bought from new in my main Hi-Fi step up nowadays.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    I love the second hand market - it means you can buy & try for a while and then get something else, without losing much or any money in the process. It's allow me to try a couple of DACs I don't think I would have had if I'd bought new .... but the same is true for most Hi-Fi. There's not much bought from new in my main Hi-Fi step up nowadays.
    I agree I think the second hand market is a godsend to guys and gals like us to help us try what's out there to see what fits!

Case and point I picked up a Beresford Bushmaster II for a price where it wouldn't have really mattered if it was a disappointment. Turns out it wasn't (never in doubt really!) and now I have a great DAC to add to one of my spare inputs and make use of an unused digital output on my streamer and one of the many different digital cables I have accumulated just to see how things sound through it. This is fun.

Oh and I've just started to run it off a battery power bank as its a 12v input. More fun.

Kind of gives me another "test" rig to swap in cables/power supplies etc to see what works and what doesn't.

I also get a certain satisfaction from using all the functions of my gear (as mentioned with the digital outputs from the streamer and inputs on the amp).

Come to think of it three out of five of my DAC's are second hand now. Most are modified as a lot more can be squeezed out of most of them.

Cheers

I'm Dennis.

I agree completely on the value of the second hand market, most people IME with bicycles and Hi-Fi are thoise who look after their equipment, and are also honest.

All of my stuff is second hand, some third, except for a WMDC6C bought in '85, and a new cartridge for the record deck.

I'm Jo.

Default Currents DACage

Roksan K3
    Audiolab M-DAC
    Beresford Caiman SEG
    SPS DAC 3 NOS DAC
    MiniMuse 1 x TDA 1543

I'm fuckoff.

Longdog Audio VDt1 DAC - transformer coupled valve unit made by Nick Gorham. 5687 on the output and ef86 in the power.

I bought this in 2013 and is my longest owned component! Still sounds great today and I've got no desire it change it.

I'm gary.

I am using a Promitheus Dac with separate power supply, beat an Mdac and a Arcam dac handsomely. NOS , beefy trans and all hand built with point to point wiring. Seriously good bit of kit .
    gweat, weally gweat

I'm Lawrence.

Remarkably since selling off my pricy dacs (Metrum Octave and MF Tri Vista) this little Chinese dac/pre/headphone amp turns out to sound best with my Ruarks. I'm using the Off Ramp rather than the internal USB converter, and Django TVC rather than the internal pre, but the dac section is marvellous.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Michael.

Wanted to move on from my Micromega Duo BS after many years loyal service. Being on a very limited budget I was recommended this little baby it's well good. MICROMEGA Mydac. More in yer face than the previous bit of kit but a lot more detail and wide soundstage. Really brings the music into the room. Not high end posh stuff that some folk here will have but it's had great reviews since it came out and I can see why. Picked it up for 175 quid new as well. Fab gear man.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast