+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Dac?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yup, you got me into dac swapping when i got my first Monarchy
    Shame you didn't keep that one. Not suited to streaming I guess.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Shame you didn't keep that one. Not suited to streaming I guess.
    Yup it was good with CD tho.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neal.

Old skool me and as I like DIY I've stuck with the TDA1541a but heavily modified. None of the commercial DACs really struck a chord with me and scope for tweaking a bit limited. Driving the TDA via I2S from a RPi opens up loads of software tweaking such as running it NOS and performing the brick wall filtering in s/w...hours of fun(!)
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Edward.

A Metrum Hex in main listening room and a Chevron Paradox elsewhere. Both wide open, detailed, engaging with a great sense of fluidity and 'wholeness'. The way I would like to live my life.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Pedro.

seen those. i take it thats the expensive one?
    No it's not one of the more expensive ones. 200 GBP or thereabouts.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/nano-idsd-bl/

Cheers
    Last edited by kota; 26-03-2019 at 11:45.
    Black fluted LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Lingo/Ekos/ESCO Troika, Black Mogami T-Kable, Naim 72K/HiCap/250, NACA5, Neat Motive SE2

I'm Michael.

Very recently I bought some kit from EC Designs in The Netherlands. I bought the MOS16 Dac, UPL 16 USB-stick based WAV player and UTOS USB to Toslink converter.
    The DAC has only Toslink input. MOS16 and UPL16 run on built in rechargable batteries charged via USB sockets. Although 24 bit variants are available there appears to be little to be gained in buying these much more expensive versions for most.
    I am very happy with this slightly quirky but very natural sounding combination at under 900 Euros. https://www.ecdesigns.nl/en/shop/upl16
    I have no connection to the manufacturer who is a long time contributor to DIY-Audio forum. I would urge anyone with similar requirements to me to give the kit a try. I was told to return the gear under the 14 day cooling off period if not satisfied but it's a keeper.
    Last edited by Avinunca1; 26-03-2019 at 12:53.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    A Metrum Hex in main listening room and a Chevron Paradox elsewhere. Both wide open, detailed, engaging with a great sense of fluidity and 'wholeness'. The way I would like to live my life.
    Heard of Metrum; quite expensive those. not heard of paradox tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Avinunca1 View Post
    Very recently I bought some kit from EC Designs in The Netherlands. I bought the MOS16 Dac, UPL 16 USB-stick based WAV player and UTOS USB to Toslink converter.
    The DAC has only Toslink input. MOS16 and UPL16 run on built in rechargable batteries charged via USB sockets. Although 24 bit variants are available there appears to be little to be gained in buying these much more expensive versions for most.
    I am very happy with this slightly quirky but very natural sounding combination at under 900 Euros. https://www.ecdesigns.nl/en/shop/upl16
    I have no connection to the manufacturer who is a long time contributor to DIY-Audio forum. I would urge anyone with similar requirements to me to give the kit a try. I was told to return the gear under the 14 day cooling off period if not satisfied but it's a keeper.
    not heard of them either. not having usb makes things a little more complex
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Technics SH-X1000 DAC. A $10k statement from 1995 and comfortably, the best I've had

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Michael.

Heard of Metrum; quite expensive those. not heard of paradox tho.

not heard of them either. not having usb makes things a little more complex
    The cunning plan is to try to do away with anything that's a potential source of interference. To connect using USB to the DAC requires the UTOS USB-Toslink device. The media storage is rather different too. The UPL will recognise USB sticks with Wav files from 99 CDs with up to 99 tracks each.

I'm sorted.

Chord Hugo TT in main system (really very good) & Beresford Caiman II for use with the laptop.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast