+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Dac?

I'm Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Looks good though Wayne
    Cheers Alan. I'll bring it over one of the days if you fancy a listen.

I'm Alan.

Yes that would be interesting!

I'm Tony.

With all the upgrades and psu's you can stick on it Alan, it can sound pretty good, put a few of these together for people over the years plus Wayne's a nice fellow as well.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm mickael.

After living with a few more modern dacs like Lavry, Rega, Audio-gd, I found no taste for oversampling and no need for USB. So it's a Meridian 563 fed by a chromecast in the little system and a Dax2se fed by a NAs though a cambridge sonata in the big room. No the last word in resolution but both soo musical, can see myself changing the players at some point but the dacs are staying, especially the AS.
    ʇɐɥʇ ɥʇᴉʍ ǝʌᴉl ʇ,uɐɔ 's,pƆ ʎɯ uo sǝpᴉs q ou

Main: Custom L75 "La Plancha", AudioCraft AC300, Ortofon MC3000 AnaMighty EAR 834P - PTP5 Schick 12" Cala 103.3 on HA1000 - pre AI Modulus 3A Audio Synthesis Passion - DAX2se - ARC VT60/Quad 909 - Virgo 2
    Office: L78 Mayware Formula IV Ortofon MC10 super - Kenwood KT1100 - Acoustic Masterpiece AM-201or A&R A60 - Rogers LS3/5a
    Workshop: Chromecast - Meridian 563 Dac - Audio Synthesis Passion - Quad 306 or 606ii - Spendor BC1

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTone View Post
    +1 for the RME ADI2 DAC. great bit of kit.
    This and mytek dacs get mentioned in the same high regard from what I've been reading of late.

Currently a caiman seg for me with a dorado psu enhancer. Sounds good to my ears.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Gordon.

Mytek 8x192ADDA 8 channel mastering DAC for my 4-way active system. This is a design that is at least 13 years old using Dac chips (AD1955) in dual mono configuration that are even older. It's still in production as is the Dac chip. I'm very happy with it, but have an Okto Research PRO 8 coming for evaluation sometime this summer. It will be interesting to see how far DACs have progressed over the last 10 years or so. In absolute terms not a lot is my guess, but you can get a very good DAC for not a lot of money now.

I also have a Benchmark DAC1 HDR in a second system.

I'm Sam.

I own one DAC, Australian made DAC, Klein DAC mine is the older version with PCM1794

Amps: Technics SU-V9, SU-V8 (black and silver), V8X, V4X ( 2 black, 1 silver) , G50 and SU-500
    Source:Technics SL-P990, P350, P477a,PG440a, Marantz CD40, NEC CD620 - TDA1541A, Philips CD753, Klein DAC, tuner and turntables Technics
    Speakers: Technics SB-6, Coral CX-5, ESM bookself (seas tweeters), Celestion Sl-6 (copper domes)

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway Tree View Post
    Mytek 8x192ADDA 8 channel mastering DAC for my 4-way active system. This is a design that is at least 13 years old using Dac chips (AD1955) in dual mono configuration that are even older. It's still in production as is the Dac chip. I'm very happy with it, but have an Okto Research PRO 8 coming for evaluation sometime this summer. It will be interesting to see how far DACs have progressed over the last 10 years or so. In absolute terms not a lot is my guess, but you can get a very good DAC for not a lot of money now.

I also have a Benchmark DAC1 HDR in a second system.
    That Okto dac is a gorgeous piece of industrial design Gordon, love it’s looks.
    Pretty slick with the Apple remote too.
    Not overpriced for what your getting either.

Having heard your active setup Gordon, interested to know how you think it compares to the Mytek?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 18-05-2019 at 09:29.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    That Okto dac is a gorgeous piece of industrial design Gordon, love it’s looks.
    Pretty slick with the Apple remote too.
    Not overpriced for what your getting either.

Having heard your active setup Gordon, interested to know how you think it compares to the Mytek?

Yes, absolutely, the Mytek wouldn't stand a chance in a beauty contest!

What the Mytek has going for it (apart from its excellent SQ) is its functionality as it also has an 8-channel ADC. In addition to USB, there's 8 analogue inputs, 4 AES/EBU digital inputs which can also take spdif, 4 digital outputs, adjustable analogue input and output levels for each channel, ADC and DAC output meters which can be turned off. It is nice to be able to check that no clipping is taking place.

I don't have a date for the Okto to arrive yet - I was just told that it would be between late May and end of July as it's on a loan tour across Europe. I'm hoping I won't be on holiday when it comes

I'll definitely let you know how it sounds compared to the Mytek.

I'm Gary.

Tremendous

Look forward to it Sir.

We spoke at the Bristol show when I was exhibiting my Korus Server and remembered our conversation at the Nebo turn when you had your Nak active setup.
    You were that “Neil Young looking guy” who knew his Hifi...

We spoke previously at Bristol in the bar about Steve Bell cartoons in the Guardian over a beer...good times.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast