+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 226

Thread: What's Your Dac?

  1. #1
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 71,851
    I'm Grant.

    Default What's Your Dac?

    Been meaning to do this for a while. ..... What Dac do you use and how high do you rate it


    ... always hard to select dacs as there are so many so might help folk
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - IFI PURIFIER 2/PATHOS CLASSIC REMIX & HIDAC AMPLIFIER - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S - DIGIONE RPI3 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC SUPRA, FISUAL, MOGAMI,

    **Iíve studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**
    "An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

    "Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"
    Give me absolute control
    Over every living soul, I've seen the future, baby,
    It is murder!
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

  2. #2
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 44,315
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    I have two DACs. Strictly for CD replay duties, a Monarchy Audio M22B and an M22C. I've probably owned a couple of dozen DACs, but these sound significantly better than any others I've tried.
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

  3. #3
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 71,851
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    forgot to mention mine.. a XS dac/headphone amp and an SMSL M6, also a headphone/dac, although both can be used in situ in a main system. both i find good dacs for reasonably little outlay
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - IFI PURIFIER 2/PATHOS CLASSIC REMIX & HIDAC AMPLIFIER - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S - DIGIONE RPI3 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC SUPRA, FISUAL, MOGAMI,

    **Iíve studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**
    "An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

    "Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"
    Give me absolute control
    Over every living soul, I've seen the future, baby,
    It is murder!
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

  4. #4
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Gerrards Cross

    Posts: 2,610
    I'm Tony.

    Default

    Grant

    Over the years I have had the privilege of owning many high respected dac's, now down to six

    I understand why Geoff likes the Monarchy Dac's very musical, like the Wadia 15's at the time they used Burr Brown PMC 63's which are superbly engaging and natural. I still own a Wadia 15 and Wadia 27ix just really decent musical dac's

    Currently I use a TAD DA1000 which replaced a five box Esoteric set up. Currently working on a project that involves AKM's dac and it is progressing well.

    Some of the new Chifi dac are quite respectable too have worked on some of the latest Gustav's and LKS they are definitely improving.

    Lots of choice at the moment so the world is your oyster.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

  5. #5
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: west mids, UK

    Posts: 2,711
    I'm Phil.

    Default

    use a modwright modded jolida tube glass dac 3 which is super , smooth and organic . also got a bel canto 3.5vbs which has been marvellous , has remote controlled vol switch and loads of inputs . shortly going up for sale . also trying a teac hd o1 . only 3 inputs , not remote control but lifts the performance of the sonos big time . not bad for the price although when you advance tracks on the cd transport it makes little clicks which is a slight irritation
    When words are many , sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise . prov 10

  6. #6
    Join Date: Jan 2019

    Location: Sintra - Portugal

    Posts: 12
    I'm Pedro.

    Default

    I've got an iFi nano iDSD Black Label connected to my laptop and I use it for Tidal and for my old cd collection converted to flac I now have on an external hdd. Works for me but I've never actually compared it to any other one. Suffice to say it's pants compared to my vinyl set up.
    Black fluted LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Lingo/Ekos/ESCO Troika, Black Mogami T-Kable, Naim 72K/HiCap/250, NACA5, Neat Motive SE2

  7. #7
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 71,851
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Grant

    Over the years I have had the privilege of owning many high respected dac's, now down to six

    I understand why Geoff likes the Monarchy Dac's very musical, like the Wadia 15's at the time they used Burr Brown PMC 63's which are superbly engaging and natural. I still own a Wadia 15 and Wadia 27ix just really decent musical dac's

    Currently I use a TAD DA1000 which replaced a five box Esoteric set up. Currently working on a project that involves AKM's dac and it is progressing well.

    Some of the new Chifi dac are quite respectable too have worked on some of the latest Gustav's and LKS they are definitely improving.

    Lots of choice at the moment so the world is your oyster.
    was reading about the akm chip that was in a dac i saw.. forgot which one tho lol.. looked to be a good one... Had a Monarchy at one time too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - IFI PURIFIER 2/PATHOS CLASSIC REMIX & HIDAC AMPLIFIER - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S - DIGIONE RPI3 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC SUPRA, FISUAL, MOGAMI,

    **Iíve studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**
    "An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

    "Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"
    Give me absolute control
    Over every living soul, I've seen the future, baby,
    It is murder!
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

  8. #8
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 71,851
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    use a modwright modded jolida tube glass dac 3 which is super , smooth and organic . also got a bel canto 3.5vbs which has been marvellous , has remote controlled vol switch and loads of inputs . shortly going up for sale . also trying a teac hd o1 . only 3 inputs , not remote control but lifts the performance of the sonos big time . not bad for the price although when you advance tracks on the cd transport it makes little clicks which is a slight irritation
    Quite like the Bel canto dac 3. gets very good reviews. dont know of the 3.5 tho. Jolida's keep cropping up too but are rarely seen.(must be good)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - IFI PURIFIER 2/PATHOS CLASSIC REMIX & HIDAC AMPLIFIER - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S - DIGIONE RPI3 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC SUPRA, FISUAL, MOGAMI,

    **Iíve studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**
    "An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

    "Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"
    Give me absolute control
    Over every living soul, I've seen the future, baby,
    It is murder!
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

  9. #9
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 71,851
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kota View Post
    I've got an iFi nano iDSD Black Label connected to my laptop and I use it for Tidal and for my old cd collection converted to flac I now have on an external hdd. Works for me but I've never actually compared it to any other one. Suffice to say it's pants compared to my vinyl set up.
    seen those. i take it thats the expensive one?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - IFI PURIFIER 2/PATHOS CLASSIC REMIX & HIDAC AMPLIFIER - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S - DIGIONE RPI3 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC SUPRA, FISUAL, MOGAMI,

    **Iíve studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**
    "An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

    "Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"
    Give me absolute control
    Over every living soul, I've seen the future, baby,
    It is murder!
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

  10. #10
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 71,851
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have two DACs. Strictly for CD replay duties, a Monarchy Audio M22B and an M22C. I've probably owned a couple of dozen DACs, but these sound significantly better than any others I've tried.
    yup, you got me into dac swapping when i got my first Monarchy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - IFI PURIFIER 2/PATHOS CLASSIC REMIX & HIDAC AMPLIFIER - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S - DIGIONE RPI3 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC SUPRA, FISUAL, MOGAMI,

    **Iíve studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**
    "An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

    "Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"
    Give me absolute control
    Over every living soul, I've seen the future, baby,
    It is murder!
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •