+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Dac?

I'm Lawrence.

I get the impression that most developments in the chips themselves are about extracting more resolution from the digital stream so I pay far more attention to power supplies, output stages etc. Having said that, there are various dac modules for the da capo and some apparently are not much cop so I'm not claiming the dac chip itself can be completely disregarded.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I get the impression that most developments in the chips themselves are about extracting more resolution from the digital stream so I pay far more attention to power supplies, output stages etc. Having said that, there are various dac modules for the da capo and some apparently are not much cop so I'm not claiming the dac chip itself can be completely disregarded.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    My DAC from 95 is engineered in exactly the way you mention.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Chris.

Currently (still) enjoying both my:

Musical Paradise MP-D1 mk2

and

Jolida Glass FX III

both tube output, WE 396a and Raytheon 5755 (reliability controlled) respectively.

Both have volume knobs which I find very useful for volume matching. My amps sound good at most volumes, but can sound exceptional in one "sweet spot" which can be way too loud with the DAC's in "fixed" (full volume) mode.

Both DAC's also have upgraded caps, Mundorf/Solen.

Best I've heard having been through maybe 15-20 others. Not the last word in detail but very analogue, enough so that I forget/don't notice its digital.

Would love to hear their latest versions with DSD capability etc but I'm saving for an MC and SUT . . . .

I'm julian.

PS Audio Directstream for me (it's the third PS audio DAC i've had, previous one was a Cullen circuits modified that i preferred to an opus 21 set up) I A/B'd it when i went to audition and it was Night/Day better. As previously stated, free firmware update every year or so = an even better dac.
    Transport is an old Denon 2910 DVD player with a clock thrown in it - it's as good as anything else i've tried (not tried any of the PS audio perfectwave / directstream though)
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

I'm David.

I've been using a Calyx 24/192 with a cheap Chinese LPS and it has always sounded good to me. Would be interested how it compares with the latest Chinese ones in the £1000 to £1500 range.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I'm using a Naim Dac

The Naim Dac is fed from a Naim CD5XS but to be honest I've never even tried the cd alone so cannot comment on it

I think Naim have now discontinued the 'full' Dac and only supplying the Dac V1 which is a different beast altogether
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I'm using a Naim Dac

The Naim Dac is fed from a Naim CD5XS but to be honest I've never even tried the cd alone so cannot comment on it

I think Naim have now discontinued the 'full' Dac and only supplying the Dac V1 which is a different beast altogether
    I'm using a Naim DAC-V1 and when fed digits via a Mutec MC-3 +USB digital interface and re-clocker, its performance is really rather lovely, being colourful, dynamic, detailed and organic sounding as well as having a good dose of Naim timing prowess. Proper audiophile stuff! Without the Mutec, the Naim DAC-V1 is still good for the money, but not in audiophile territory.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I'm using a Naim DAC-V1 and when fed digits via a Mutec MC-3 +USB digital interface and re-clocker, its performance is really rather lovely, being colourful, dynamic, detailed and organic sounding as well as having a good dose of Naim timing prowess. Proper audiophile stuff! Without the Mutec, the Naim DAC-V1 is still good for the money, but not in audiophile territory.
    Hi Hugo
    I've not heard the V1 Dac but I'm sure it is very good indeed

I've only had experience of the 'full' Naim Dac which I love and wouldn't be without fed by the 5XS, I love it
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Steve.

Interesting reading what everyone uses..

I use a WAF Najda (apparently pronounced Naashda).
    It also does DSP, X/O and time alignment, feeding 4 or 5 channels (if you have the 5 the channel expansion board).
    So it's really 4 or 5 DACs and an active preamp and feeds my 5 active amps / horn loaded drivers.

It has Burson Op Amps, Linear PSUs to both the 12-0-12v and 5v supplies it requires.

I feed it analogue via my Technics SP-10 or Stream Spotify via RPi and Allo Kali reclocker (which tidies up the RPi rubbish clocking) and feeds directly into Najda's I2S input.
    I2S is the best way to get a digital signal in. The RPi and Kali also have linear PSUs.

Lid off (this is before linear PSUs and RPi / Kali)..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Magna Audio View Post
    Interesting reading what everyone uses..

I use a WAF Najda (apparently pronounced Naashda).
    It also does DSP, X/O and time alignment, feeding 4 or 5 channels (if you have the 5 the channel expansion board).
    So it's really 4 or 5 DACs and an active preamp and feeds my 5 active amps / horn loaded drivers.

It has Burson Op Amps, Linear PSUs to both the 12-0-12v and 5v supplies it requires.

I feed it analogue via my Technics SP-10 or Stream Spotify via RPi and Allo Kali reclocker (which tidies up the RPi rubbish clocking) and feeds directly into Najda's I2S input.
    I2S is the best way to get a digital signal in. The RPi and Kali also have linear PSUs.

Lid off (this is before linear PSUs and RPi / Kali)..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I2S
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast