+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Passive Preamps

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    We all do Marco. The claim of SA's adding distortion and LDRs not, needed to be challenged.

Ultimately, as I've said elsewhere, I actually think a bit of distortion is not always a bad thing. Look at valve amps!
    Indeed, although ALL amps distort, to some degree, and in different ways

If you want to talk about distortion, look at vinyl, never mind valve amps! And yet, done well, it can produce some of the most beautiful sounds we hear....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, although ALL amps distort, to some degree, and in different ways

Marco.
    Oh, absolutely. Yet in a recent A/B test where I removed my preamp for a direct connection to the source, I far preferred it with the Preamp in situ!

Not surprised, simply because your system hasn't been designed around a 'pot in a box'. I heard the same as you, in my system, and reached the same conclusion. That doesn't mean it can't work well, though.

Btw, on (slightly) related subject, I've been reading some of your views on AA about valve amps, and your conclusion that they can't 'do bass' as well as SS designs...

Well, that only applies up until you spend sufficient money (around £5k and above) on a top-notch, reasonably powerful (say 30-50W) push-pull valve amp, featuring the use of large output-valves, such as KT120s or 150s, and good enough (and big enough) mains and output transformers.

My TD Copper amp, and others like it, such as the John Wood, fit the bill. Do that, and crucially, *match* the valve amp properly with the right speakers, and the bass produced will be just as good as that from your Krell, trust me!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Not surprised, simply because your system hasn't been designed around a 'pot in a box'. I heard the same as you, in my system, and reached the same conclusion. That doesn't mean it can't work well, though.

Btw, on (slightly) related subject, I've been reading some of your views on AA about valve amps, and your conclusion that they can't 'do bass' as well as SS designs...

Well, that only applies up until you spend sufficient money (around £5k and above) on a top-notch, reasonably powerful (say 30-50W) push-pull valve amp, featuring the use of large output-valves, such as KT120s or 150s, and good enough (and big enough) mains and output transformers.

My TD Copper amp, and others like it, such as the John Wood, fit the bill. Do that, and crucially, *match* the valve amp properly with the right speakers, and the bass produced will be just as good as that from your Krell, trust me!

Marco.
    Well, if I were to spend £5k on a Valve amp I'd expect it to do bass right, as well as everything else!

Thing is you can get solid state amps (see Krell) that does everything right (imo) for £1.5k so having valves, and there continued expense in the replenishment of valves means having a Valve amp of sufficient quality no longer appeals to me.

Your amps and those by the TD are what I'd call, prestige items. Not for us working class types lol.

Seriously, I don't doubt the performance but, don't doubt the performance of the Krell, especially now that I've dealt with a few things like speaker cables and giving the speakers (uncouth as they may be, Macca ) better stands to help.

The only thing I lack is the room to really get the very last bits out of this system.

Putting the system together, I didn't have a plan, hence the multiple boxes passing through my house. What I did was listen to as much as I could and try to find what I wanted from both listening to those pieces and the pieces other people have in their systems. I don't think there's many folks who have been as active in their pursuit of equipment to listen to as I have!

The preamp situation was a development. At every stage, when one piece was improved, it revealed an issue else where. As Hans Beekhuyzen said, "if one piece of the chain is below standard, it will be revealed". He's spot on and as the source and amplification got better, the preamps were getting to be the weak link. I've tried possibly everything, in terms of type. TVC, AVC, Passive, Passive Stepped Attenuators, Valve Pre, Active SS Pre, Active SS SA's and LDR, The Truth Preamp - Not sure exactly what that was.

I found the DCB1 did everything I was looking for. Almost like it just captures the best bits from all of the previous preamps is tried.

From there, came the Krell which has revolutionised my listening experience. The Krell, being an absolute top class amplifier, enable (Finally) the use of Digital.

What I'd say to ANYONE starting on this journey is:

Get the best Preamp and Amplification you can from the off. WITHOUT that, nothing else can really show it's ability.

Thumbs up Guarding against absolutes...

Can't really argue with any of that dude, and I'm sure that the Krell sounds great... My point was not to create or believe in absolutes: valves = soggy bass, SS = hard & soulless, digital = bright and hard, analogue = euphonic and coloured, etc, etc.

Quite simply, it's bullshit, as indeed you eventually find out from experience, once you hear any of the above at its best!

Marco.
    Main System

Bigman80 Guest

Can't really argue with any of that dude, and I'm sure that the Krell sounds great... My point was not to create or believe in absolutes: valves = soggy bass, SS = hard & soulless, digital = bright and hard, analogue = euphonic and coloured, etc, etc.

Quite simply, it's bullshit, as indeed you eventually find out from experience, once you hear any of the above at its best!

Marco.
    No, absolutes can never be defined because there always one think bucks the trend.

I was talking from a perspective of the Budget in which most of are working. Obviously, as pieces get higher in quality, those parameters of performance with change. If I had £1.5k to spend, I don't think there's a Valve amp out there that would sufficiently compare to the Krell for my taste. BUT I am never one to say it can't happen.

I'd have to be a DIY job, not designed to be sold on, so that every penny was spent on where it mattered most, otherwise no.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm jamie.

I'd have to be a DIY job, not designed to be sold on, so that every penny was spent on where it mattered most, otherwise no.

Marco.
    Which brings us nicely back to John wood amps
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

Whilst we are on the subject of valve amps, Marco have you ever heard the gec kt88 valves and if so are they that much better than modern kt88s? I ask because I’m about to buy some.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    Which brings us nicely back to John wood amps
    Great amp. Don't know how he does it for the money asked!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast