+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Passive Preamps

I'm Bob.

Default Passive Preamps

Can anyone offer a recommendation on a passive preamp?

Ideally it should have 4 inputs plus a tape in / out. It'll also need to be able to accommodate a pass thru although I guess I could just use an input and turn the vol control up to max (right?). A remote control would be useful but I could live without it if there are other benefits.

I need it to just be audibly invisible. No colouration, neither adding nor taking anything away. This would be going straight into my Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp.

I'd also be grateful to hear from anyone who's tried a passive and found it didn't meet their needs. For what reason?

Many thanks, Bob
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Phil.

well I am surprised to see a request for a passive after using an arc ls 27 which is on my wish list sometime [ having had a few arc pre amps ] . it would take a very good passive to beat that . also passives with HTB are very very rare . think i saw a MFA once with it

just for interest the freya has loads of inputs and is incredibly transparent , more so than my pre 3 vbs . its a passive . it would be interesting to compare it to your LS27 . there is one here and not too far from you !!

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...assive-pre-amp
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Martin.

Nelson Pass DCB1 - you'd have to build it yourself or get someone to build it though. Not commercially available as a built unit. But you could specify as many inputs as you wanted plus a pass through. Passive with a buffer so you have to plug it in but there is no gain stage.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

Nelson pass DCB1 is amazingly transparent, depending on the volume control element.
    Just to provide more information this is a potentiometer or stepped attenuator followed by the DCB1 buffer stage.

Other buffer stages can be used, there are valve based buffer stages available as well, from other vendors.

A stepped attenuator of sufficient quality will give the best performance, a lot use the Khozmo series attenuator, an alternative that is a little less expensive but of equal transparency is the Acoustic Dimension stepped attenuator.

Both Khozmo and Acoustic Dimension are available with remote control, though the AD unit is a fair bit cheaper.

I'm Steve.

I love my dcb1, its now on it's 6th carnation and each upgrade has been an eye opener.

It's a very adaptable machine with lots of upgrade paths and a variation of configurations

Steve..
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    I love my dcb1, its now on it's 6th carnation and each upgrade has been an eye opener.

It's a very adaptable machine with lots of upgrade paths and a variation of configurations

Steve..
    I'm intrigued by this - is the DCB1 expensive to buy, are they only kit form, and if so how hard are they to make, bearing in mind I have sausage fingers and zero experience with a soldering iron. The idea of getting a pre amp for not too much money, then upgrading as funds become available is quite appealing.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I'm intrigued by this - is the DCB1 expensive to buy, are they only kit form, and if so how hard are they to make, bearing in mind I have sausage fingers and zero experience with a soldering iron. The idea of getting a pre amp for not too much money, then upgrading as funds become available is quite appealing.
    Snap! I just did this , see the build thread. With no electronics experiance at all and it has worked out fine . Still running in but certainly showing potential even in stock form. If you are willing to then I would say have a go as there are plenty of people here and on DIY audio who would help out. I sent to board to Alan for a bit of numpty trouble shooting but apart from that was fairly straightforward.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm Steve.

Hi Steve

They aren't to bad to build, ive built 6 so far and there are a couple of others on aos who have built them too.

Price wise somewhere between £460 and £600 depending on spec, fit and finish.

Regards Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Yup, best pre I've personally heard and if you invest in it, it gets better and better.

If you aren't 100% on it, Firebottle is more than capable of putting these together.

I'm Chris.

Default Bake off needed

Is a bake-off needed ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast