+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Passive Preamps

I'm Grant.

Bake off s are always needed.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Nelson pass DCB1 is amazingly transparent, depending on the volume control element.
    Just to provide more information this is a potentiometer or stepped attenuator followed by the DCB1 buffer stage.

Other buffer stages can be used, there are valve based buffer stages available as well, from other vendors.

A stepped attenuator of sufficient quality will give the best performance, a lot use the Khozmo series attenuator, an alternative that is a little less expensive but of equal transparency is the Acoustic Dimension stepped attenuator.

Both Khozmo and Acoustic Dimension are available with remote control, though the AD unit is a fair bit cheaper.
    Where are the Acoustic dimension passives sold?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Is a bake-off needed ?
    We did one.

The DCB1 is the best preamp Ive heard.

We used the big one in the pic.

The write up of the bakeoff was put here:

http://audioaddictsforum.com/thread/...listening-test
    Last edited by Bigman80; 25-03-2019 at 22:44.

I'm Chris.

That's a bit opposite to other forums, https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...ttenuator-kit/
    but thanks. From my own experience powering with the recommended 12vAC as in the above review rather than DC 12v is the way to go.
    The technical reasons are that only one half of the mosfet rectifier is used with DC. Maybe await Marco's review, as his is 12v AC

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    That's a bit opposite to other forums, https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...ttenuator-kit/
    but thanks. From my own experience powering with the recommended 12vAC as in the above review rather than DC 12v is the way to go.
    The technical reasons are that only one half of the mosfet rectifier is used with DC. Maybe await Marco's review, as his is 12v AC
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

I think Martin has one tucked away too that has yet to see the light of day.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

I'm quite tempted to try one of the relay passive pre-amps that have been cropping up on Chinese ebay sites, but I don't want remote control which most seem to include. Strangely, the few that are manual only are dearer.

I thing Alan (Firebottle) has been trying one.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I think Martin has one tucked away too that has yet to see the light of day.
    Its a very early edition, which needs updating to latest spec,which I am happy to do.

ie LDRs were NSL32SR2S vs NSL32SR3 and over 7 years of development following.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Like all good things, it will happen, I am updating Marco's main board and posting it tomorrow from NZ.... so about 2 weeks from now ...

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Where are the Acoustic dimension passives sold?
    http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/at...ators-main.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast