+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 401 idler wheel question

I'm Drew.

Default 401 idler wheel question

Hi

I need to remove the clip holding the the lower bushing that sits under the idler wheel. How is it done? The idler wheel itself comes off easily but the clip seems to be screwed in from below. Can it be done from under the platter or do I have to access it from below the TT? Thanks!

I'm Andrew.

Send us all a photo. I totally rebuilt mine. I suspect your going to have to remove a fact portion of the motor before you can get to that part. My memory isn't that great!!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Graham.

I maybe misunderstanding the issue, but the idler alloy assy is held in place by a circlip that sits at the base of the chromed shaft it rotates on. Put a clear plastic bag around the assy to capture the circlip which will ping off at high speed. With the circlip removed you can lift the idler assembly free of the timetable. You will see there are 2 brass pins that hold the thin metal plate under the bottom bush that stops it dropping out. It is possible to prise these free but they will distort slightly. It would be worth getting spare brass pins from perfect sound. It is an irritating design which doesn't lend itself to frequent Disassembly. I would try to reuse the existing pins until you're happy that the bush is the correct size. There are different bush sizes available on epay.

I'm Graham.

Ps forgot to mention there are two springs U need to detach before pulling the idler assembly free. It is worth noting which holes the spring ends attach to as it is not obvious when you reassemble it ��

I'm Drew.

Great info, thanks very much indeed. All taken apart now and ready for new idler wheel and bushings to be fitted by Ray at CTC...

+ Reply to Thread