+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beresford Caiman DAC -- first impressions (and a question)

I'm Alex.

Default Beresford Caiman DAC -- first impressions (and a question)

Hello everyone,

I'm a new guy on this forum. Decided to join you after my Caiman arrived yesterday (I see a lot of really good discussion on this DAC already transpired here). The arrival of this DAC got me so excited yesterday that I couldn't resist and jumped right in to give it a good listen, without allowing it a fighting chance to properly burn in.

I won't bore you with the gushing praises -- this DAC is simply amazing (even straight out of the box). I just have one question: I am finding that Caiman sounds muffled in the upper register (compared to the built-in Squeezebox DAC). Is that typical? Will that go away with burn in?

My system: Logitech Squeezebox Duet into Caiman via digital coax, fixed outputs into DSP 200s preamp, then into DPA 200s power amp, driving Magneplanar MG1 IMP speakers.

Nice to meet ya'll, and thanks for any help you care to toss this way!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm notAlone.

Hi there,

my Caiman took three days to give its full potential. Try and be patient.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

200 hours (I think) is Stanley's recommendation, which equates well with the 7-10 days I found it took to blossom - though "muffled in the upper register" wasn't something I experienced before burn in (bass light and a bit too bright, I would have said.)

Do pop in to the welcome section and introduce yourself properly if you get the chance, please - let us know a bit about yourself and your music tastes.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    200 hours (I think) is Stanley's recommendation, which equates well with the 7-10 days I found it took to blossom - though "muffled in the upper register" wasn't something I experienced before burn in (bass light and a bit too bright, I would have said.)

Do pop in to the welcome section and introduce yourself properly if you get the chance, please - let us know a bit about yourself and your music tastes.
    Thanks Alex. Funny, seems like i've experienced the exact opposite first impressions -- in your case, a bit too bright, in my case a bit too muffled

Thanks also for reminding me to introduce myself -- I just did it in the welcome section, hope that would be helpful for other members who would like to chat with me.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm David.

Is shouldn't worry about the caiman so so after it birth(?) I'm sure it will grown into it's stride!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm ChrisB.

.........could just be it's (English?) accent.

I'm David.

I seem to remember stan having a quite unenglish accent, he phoned me once to say he was sending out a replacement dac "hi it's stan..." or... "Stanley" I cant remember...I heard, well, you know when you get that 'i definatly know a stan, I've been talking to a stan recently.... Oh stan!!!" thing go through your head... Well the accent definatly exaserbated matters.... .... I'm pretty sure that happend and I didn't dream it anyway....
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

That all under the notion that he passes his accent, if he has one, on to his dacs.... .... I really should get some sleep, it's been a long day!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Hi Alex

Have you tried using your Caiman as preamp yet - I saw your post on the Slim forum, and my thoughts are that something is not gelling in your system.
    There are variable outputs on the Caiman that are controlled by the volume potentiometer (that's knob , for all the plebs amongst us).

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I seem to remember stan having a quite unenglish accent, he phoned me once to say he was sending out a replacement dac "hi it's stan..." or... "Stanley" I cant remember...I heard, well, you know when you get that 'i definatly know a stan, I've been talking to a stan recently.... Oh stan!!!" thing go through your head... Well the accent definatly exaserbated matters.... .... I'm pretty sure that happend and I didn't dream it anyway....
    I don't think it was a dream Hamish - I spoke on the phone to Stan (I ordered a 7520 on the day the Caiman was released) and I'm 99% positive he isn't native of Peckham or Shoreditch (etc, ad infinitum) despite living in London currently.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast