+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supertweeters if you just stream ?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    See post #11. A sound doesn’t need to be in the audible domain to have an effect in the audible domain
    The chances are that it probably is audible, and below 10kHz
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The chances are that it probably is audible, and below 10kHz
    In some cases. The Takets were genuinely inaudible to me on their own but had an undoubted effect in combination. Similarly my Tannoy STs are inaudible but affect the combined signal. Others such as Townshends are audible on their own.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    You cant hear that high so how can it add an expansive air to the music!!? I cant hear above about 11khz so talk of supertweeters is a bloody nonsense. you cant hear it so its adding nothing to the enjoyment of the music.
    You've missed the point I think Martin. Output from supertweeters should not be audible, if it is they're not implemented correctly.

It's not what they sound like that matters, it's the effect they have on what you actually can hear that's important. Try listening to a pair with main speakers, then disconnect them and the effect they are having vanishes. It's definitely a noticeable thing, even though you are not actually hearing the supertweeters themselves (if used correctly).

I can't hear much above 10kHz, but the effect of supertweeters working at above 15kHz is audible to me.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You've missed the point I think Martin. Output from supertweeters should not be audible, if it is they're not implemented correctly.

It's not what they sound like that matters, it's the effect they have on what you actually can hear that's important. Try listening to a pair with main speakers, then disconnect them and the effect they are having vanishes. It's definitely a noticeable thing, even though you are not actually hearing the supertweeters themselves (if used correctly).

I can't hear much above 10kHz, but the effect of supertweeters working at above 15kHz is audible to me.
    Exactly
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Dennis.

My much revered tutor Mr. Wanden reported a test, in '69, that blind people who could not hear above 10k could perceive the difference between band restricted to 10k and open to full bandwidth sources.

Geoff, it is what you mean by "hear" that is crucial, but if a super tweeter is indistinguishable as a separate source, the difference with and without can be audible

I'm Martin.

The emperor has some new clothes. You can feel good about your supertweeter being capable of more but mind control is very persuasive when you feed it feel good thought patterns.

So youngsters with the hearing of a bat are already having a better experience than me then. You need to ask how it was for them because you cant spend money to be young again.

There are some ST threads with people trying to explain the leading edge of notes and one of the funniest comments is

"If you build it ? They will come."

Im on the sceptical side of things...Help me see the light in born again moment......I believe brother
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 27-03-2019 at 15:52.

I'm Geoff.

Shame to see an explanation going to waste.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    The emperor has some new clothes. You can feel good about your supertweeter being capable of more but mind control is very persuasive when you feed it biased thought patterns.

So youngsters with the hearing of a bat are already having a better experience than me then. Maybe the supertweeter is just a better tweeter acroos teh whole range than the comparison

There are some threads with people trying to explain the leading edge of notes and one of the funniest comments is

"If you build it ? They will come.
    You just have to look on the Russ Abbot site"

Im on the sceptical side of things...Help me see the light until Im born again....... believe brother

Skepticism can be healthy but when you deny the science you might as well join the fruit loop brigade that have caused a measles epidemic in New York State.

Waves of any sort - including sound waves - interact with each other. This applies regardless of frequency and a sound wave doesn't care whether you can hear it or not when it interacts with other waves at different frequencies.

Supertweeters have an audible effect, this may not be quite for the reasons that some of their proponents claim, but to deny this is a denial of the science involved.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Skepticism can be healthy but when you deny the science you might as well join the fruit loop brigade that have caused a measles epidemic in New York State.

Waves of any sort - including sound waves - interact with each other. This applies regardless of frequency and a sound wave doesn't care whether you can hear it or not when it interacts with other waves at different frequencies.

Supertweeters have an audible effect, this may not be quite for the reasons that some of their proponents claim, but to deny this is a denial of the science involved.
    very much so, the risks from the vaccine are minute compared to the damage measles can inflict. ..and usually on the young who dont have much say, just because mum and dads religion or the red some rubbish onlne
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I dodged the Measles bullet........just, when I was a nipper. It nearly killed me, The old man saw fit to allow a priest to give me last rites and he was an athiest. I survived though and here I am to annoy you lot!

Anyway, back to supertweeters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast