+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pro-Ject 2 Xperience Classic Turntable Upgraded

I'm Russell.

Default Pro-Ject 2 Xperience Classic Turntable Upgraded

Moving on my great Pro-Ject 2 Xperience Classic Turntable.

Finished in Piano Black, it really is in mint condition with only the very faintest scratches when you get very close (Piano Black for you!)

Relatively new belt with manual speed change.

Upgraded with Nagaoka MP11 Boron Cartridge with around 100 hours on board.

Also fitted with the great Pro-Ject Carbon Tonearm & improved platter mat.

Also fitted an upgraded XTC Counterweight (original Pro-Ject will come as well) with different weights for experimentation.

Comes with power supply, manual & all the other bits seen in the photos.

No RCA or ground cables as this doesn’t have them connected as can be seen in one of the images but I will throw in a standard set of interconnects to get the new owner started if they wish.

Don’t have original box & due to the nature I would really not want to ship this but would as a last resort & at purchasers cost & risk.

This cost me £550 around 9 months ago so think around £450 for an exceptional TT set up in great condition seems fair.

Collection from Cambridge or can deliver between there & Northampton.

PM me for more detail.

I'm Russell.

That’s a very nice looking table for the money you’ve got in it! Congrats!

I had a Pro-Ject that I modded a bit. I can’t tell what kind of platter you’ve got there from the pics, but mine had the steel platter with a felt mat. So I replaced it with the acrylic platter and noticed a good bit of improvement. A bit more solid in the bottom. I also put some better feet on it, which make it less prone to foot falls, etc. I don’t know if it sounded any better, but still well worth it.

Russell

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    That’s a very nice looking table for the money you’ve got in it! Congrats!

I had a Pro-Ject that I modded a bit. I can’t tell what kind of platter you’ve got there from the pics, but mine had the steel platter with a felt mat. So I replaced it with the acrylic platter and noticed a good bit of improvement. A bit more solid in the bottom. I also put some better feet on it, which make it less prone to foot falls, etc. I don’t know if it sounded any better, but still well worth it.

Russell
    Thanks!

I got the regular steel platter with a thick felt mat which worked great for me.

Biggest improvement I found was the cartridge, XTC weight & Russ Andrews Turntable Interconnects.

Never looked at changing feet etc. which may have been my next move if I’d decided to keep it.

I'm Russell.

The picture is a bit dark, but this is that acrylic platter, and my record clamp may be in the picture. I upgraded to a Grado Gold cartridge, that I got a good price on. I had an old pair of Van Den Hul cables, that were quite pleasant really. And I had it plugged into a battery back up power supply that makes a perfect sine wave at 120v 60Hz. So, I tested it for speed and it was dead on 33.3 rpm. Then I upgraded my phono preamp. I went from the built in Parasound pre to an outboard Musical Surroundings, Phonomena. A very flexible and easy to configure, and is battery powered. I was shocked at the improvement I made there. More than subtle, and let the Grado Gold shine.

I’ve since gotten a VPI Scout with acrylic platter and a Sumiko Blue Point Special, and when I changed the settings on that preamp for the new cartridge, I once again was blown away by what the Phonomena brings to the table. It sold for about $1,000 new, but I got it used for $400. The Sumiko is my first MC cartridge, and I know that’s a large part of the difference, but the pre really lets it breath! That kind of playback that makes you want to play another, and another. I have run it connected to the onboard phono pre inside my Parasound Halo 3. And it completely deflates, so much smaller, so flat, not three dimensional. It doesn’t take any blind test to tell the difference.

I wound up giving the ‘table, cartridge and cable to my son in law. (I kept the preamp) My daughter told me he went on a record buying spree! Stocked up on every classic rock album you can imagine. I’m sure he’s got over 100 Records by now. Most are new, 180g Records. But the both of them have changed. They were Rap and HipHop fans, Modern R&B, you know what that sounds like, but they have forsaken all of that for classic rock! My daughter found a streaming radio station that only plays Beatles songs! And she’s a big Doors fan. Makes me proud that they finally came around, a bit of reaffirmation that my music really was better! Sorry I got a bit off topic there.

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post

The picture is a bit dark, but this is that acrylic platter, and my record clamp may be in the picture. I upgraded to a Grado Gold cartridge, that I got a good price on. I had an old pair of Van Den Hul cables, that were quite pleasant really. And I had it plugged into a battery back up power supply that makes a perfect sine wave at 120v 60Hz. So, I tested it for speed and it was dead on 33.3 rpm. Then I upgraded my phono preamp. I went from the built in Parasound pre to an outboard Musical Surroundings, Phonomena. A very flexible and easy to configure, and is battery powered. I was shocked at the improvement I made there. More than subtle, and let the Grado Gold shine.

I’ve since gotten a VPI Scout with acrylic platter and a Sumiko Blue Point Special, and when I changed the settings on that preamp for the new cartridge, I once again was blown away by what the Phonomena brings to the table. It sold for about $1,000 new, but I got it used for $400. The Sumiko is my first MC cartridge, and I know that’s a large part of the difference, but the pre really lets it breath! That kind of playback that makes you want to play another, and another. I have run it connected to the onboard phono pre inside my Parasound Halo 3. And it completely deflates, so much smaller, so flat, not three dimensional. It doesn’t take any blind test to tell the difference.

I wound up giving the ‘table, cartridge and cable to my son in law. (I kept the preamp) My daughter told me he went on a record buying spree! Stocked up on every classic rock album you can imagine. I’m sure he’s got over 100 Records by now. Most are new, 180g Records. But the both of them have changed. They were Rap and HipHop fans, Modern R&B, you know what that sounds like, but they have forsaken all of that for classic rock! My daughter found a streaming radio station that only plays Beatles songs! And she’s a big Doors fan. Makes me proud that they finally came around, a bit of reaffirmation that my music really was better! Sorry I got a bit off topic there.

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    These tables really can sound wonderful for the money - glad yours is being put to decent use now by your Son-In-Law

Thanks for the bump - now unashamedly bumping myself as really need to move this on so happy to listen to close offers.

I'm Russell.

Price reduction bump - Now giving it away at £425.

Also now have some packaging so would be willing to post at buyers expense & liability.

I'm Russell.

Would consider a swap for a decent phono stage with money either way????

I'm Russell.

Impending house move means this has to go sharpish - happy to listen to offers.....

I'm Russell.

Sold

+ Reply to Thread