+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CaimanmkII

I'm Alrick.

Default CaimanmkII

Happily listening to my system with caiman mkII which has been modified over the years supercap main capacitors input rca silver wire etc.Purchased a dorado recently had to buy the charger as did not have a function linear power supply at the time ,the improvement sin sound were not subtle raised the bar.However read about people super clocking the caiman mk11 and caimen seg purchased a cheao txco from the ebay with its own power supply regulator circuit.Once installed the sound quality took a massive leap forward n conjunction with the dorado and the seg 30 chip.Having had an old teac transport which had long since died this had installed a trichord research clock3 many years ago had purchase the never connected power supply for the said clock3 .What to do cock connected to caiman internal regulator supplying 9.6vdc for the clock constructed a switch wired between internal power supply and external never connected power supply to clock.Thus iam able to have the clock powered via the regulator in caiman or externally via the trichord research never connected powers supply power coming via a jack in the rear.How does it sound my preference is for the sound via the internal power supply crisper sounding with more information on the instruments how they are played the space between instruments studio effects and hidden sounds not noticed before i could gon .the external power supply when switched in is smoother with more bass but seem to lose some information in the upper registers treble seems a little subdued the midrange less open and informative.I have come to the conclusion that the caiman is using better components thus the clock is working at or near its best the trichord never connected power supply is at least eight to nine years old i have lost track when i bought it but i did pay ful retail price for it and at the time the system i was using it with did bring some improvement.but to my ears in my present system does sound dated. To try and put this into some context my system presently consists of Oppo 105d as transport running into caiman mkII with mods dorado powered super clocked seg 30 chipped feeding home built
    B1 preamp with mods feeding Firstwatt F2J clone transconductance semi monoblock power amplifiers amplifiers feeding medallion horn speakers with Lowther pm7a silver coiled 8ohm drivers connected with 4.5 metres per side missing link reference speaker cable plus other amplifiers ie quad II valve amplifier Ladyday kit 300b power amplifiers as well as Firstwatt FIJ clones as well. Some of my humble system.Regards aleman
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aleman; 22-03-2019 at 21:43. Reason: poor spelling

I'm Adam.

I only got O Level grade B for English Language....

...not trying to be funny - but any chance you could edit your post into paragraphs?

I suspect what you are saying is interesting - but I am struggling to read it.
    Adam.

I'm Geoff.

Yes, a big block of text puts me off too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dave.

+ 1 Painful to try and read. Gave up half way through and hadn't understood any of it.

+ Reply to Thread