+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning exterior of a Revox B77

I'm Nigel.

Default Cleaning exterior of a Revox B77

I have a very nice B77 Mk2 which is in great condition apart from the surround that has always felt "sticky" for want of a better word. Does anyone know how I can deal with this?

I'm Bob.

Pampers Sensitive Baby Travel Wipes, £0.49 from Superdrug. 12 in a pack. Works on stainless steel, but it depends on the nature of what the "sticky" actually is.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Russell.

I’ve taken many a piece of gear apart to clean. The buttons on a 25 year old Sony CD player were quite grimy, so I took it all apart and put the front in the sink with dish soap, and scrubbed with an old tooth brush. But it sounds like you really don’t want to go there?

But a damp sponge with some grease cutting dish washing liquid on it will do wonders, make sure it’s completely dry before plugging it back in. A quick polish with a dry paper towel afterwards will remove any water marks.

Russell

I'm Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Pampers Sensitive Baby Travel Wipes, £0.49 from Superdrug. 12 in a pack. Works on stainless steel, but it depends on the nature of what the "sticky" actually is.
    The metal bits are all ok. It's the brown case material that is sticky.

I'm Alan.

Its the Nextel coating that gets Sticky with time and there is nothing you can do about it other than remove it.
    You can remove it completely from the surface with Methylated spirit, remove the case before doing that
    It doesent look that great after doing that so its best to respray it, go to Halfords for something suitable

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Graeme.

I have just got 2 cans of this to try on mine.I did have the cases in a bath of warm water with washing up liquid, got the stickiness off but thats about all.will post results when done.

https://www.vinyldye.co.uk/TRG-Vinyl...c-Paint-By-TRG

I'm Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by sussex R2R View Post
    I have just got 2 cans of this to try on mine.I did have the cases in a bath of warm water with washing up liquid, got the stickiness off but thats about all.will post results when done.

Looks interesting Graeme .....best of luck!
    Look forward to your feedback on it.

I'm Russell.

Yes be sure to share some photos of the clean finish!

Russell

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by sussex R2R View Post

Looks good
    I was thinking of the plastic bumper spray that they sell in Halfords but its probably similar to what you have purchased.

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Graeme.

Update:
    Have painted one case with the spray and it does not look bad, little shiny and lighter, a bit like a Teac case
    Overall its better than sticky and faded

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast