+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The One Show, revolutionary new speaker?

I'm Dennis.

My dislikes were not borne of intellectual snobbery, but more biased towards concerns about personal interaction issues of morality; the BBC, and many others are so patronising.

Watching BBC4 is for me a sort of 'Christian work ethic' way of looking at life, having had a childhood in which I was constantly castigated for not being good enough, and ordered to try harder.

To me Yes Minister was good because it showed subtle dishonestys of motivation.

If humour or theatre are banal to you, they are tedious to watch.

I love Car SOS, because it does so much in many ways; it is great to see such good refurbishment, and dedication, and also to see a person so delighted with the results that he is overcome wit joy.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Oh - you meant the "I'm so interllectual, I hardly ever watch TV"? Well that's not me - I watch about 15 hours of TV a week (mostly BBC4), and thoroughly enjoy it.

I also watch a fair amount of DVDs - but they are are often black and white foreign language films, with subtitles. Maybe that does make me an 'interllectual'?
    Not necessarily - you could be a colour blind foreigner using the subtitles to improve your English Probably more effective than Evelyn Woodhead, and dubbed versions are for plebs anyway.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No problem, Dennis. I understand where you're coming from, although I'm sorry to hear about that unfortunate aspect of your childhood.

Some stuff on BBC4 is great. We were watching this programme last night about Japanese art and culture, which was simply fascinating: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08tvzws and there are many other great shows on that channel.

Yup, Car SoS is fab, as are all other car shows of that ilk. At the other end of the scale, I also like Top Gear (even without the 'old guard'). Some other shows I've enjoyed recently, and in the past, on the Beeb, are:

Peaky Blinders
    The Apprentice
    White Gold
    MotherFatherSon
    Eggheads
    Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is
    Great British Menu
    James May's Cars of the People
    Match of the Day
    Dragons' Den

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

I'll watch any old crap, it's better than talking to the wife.

You lot can be highbrow as you like, celebrity dancing on bake off get me out of here's got the voice talent factor is preferable to a discussion on what bedding matches the carpet
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post

You lot can be highbrow as you like, celebrity dancing on bake off get me out of here's got the voice talent factor is preferable to a discussion on what bedding matches the carpet
    That logic is pretty watertight I must admit.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

I don't just watch high brow stuff. There's hardly any of it on anyway. Spent a chunk of last night watching 'Ancient Aliens' - great show, mostly total bollocks.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post

You really should spend some tome talking to your wife - how else will she know what you want for your tea

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

A set tea for every night? Fish on Fridays.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

I always have pizza on Fridays, if I suddenly changed to fish she would think I was having an affair. Same reason I would never buy flowers or chocolates for no good reason. Take it from a wise old man who has had only a modicum of success with the fairer sex. Women want to change their man, but are suspicious of any changes that are not of their doing.

Like if I suddenly started watching The One Show - Mrs. P would assume I'm lusting after that female presenter, the one that looks like she could eat a whole banana sideways.

There, back on topic! (sort of)

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Martin.

No its not Im so intellectual I hardy watch tv.

Not that at all. TV is generally so bad I hardly watch TV.

Its the same repeats of police shows Ramsay, storage hunters and all that dross. All the disgusting fly on the wall stuff like cant pay or benefit scroungers are near you. Oh and dragons den is a disgusting exercise in cap doffing to the egos of the rich

Top gear has been an embarrassment The bbc casting office should be hung drawn and quartered...so bad I was even wishing Clarkson was back and thats saying something

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast