+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 75" vs a 80" Samsung

I'm Greg.

Default 75" vs a 80" Samsung

We stopped in at Hawthorn Appliance in Birmingham Mi. this past weekend....were going to see a play and were a bit early so stopped in to "nose" around...anyway had my first look at a 75" and 80" Samsung TV's and was very surprised to see that the 75" really looked great.......very clear and sharp picture...colors were very vivid....and a few feet away was an 80" and it just looked terrible. Picture was not clear at all, the more you got off to the side the picture became more fuzzy.....pretty poor example.......not sure if there was a problem with it or what but if your shopping around for a very large TV make sure you check it out in person first......

I'm Martin.

Maybe they just didn't have it set up properly? Or a customer had been fiddling with the settings and they hadn't put it back right.

Have to say I bought my TV without seeing it first. It's okay, I just regret chickening out and getting a 55'' instead of a 65''.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Matt.

75” & 80”?
    The 75 was probably a QLED screen, didn’t think they made an 80” screen currently. I thought the Samsung range was 75, 82 & 85”.
    They always strike me as being WAYyyy to bright, forced & exaggerated compared to a Sony OLED, LG or Pana.

I'm Gary.

65’ OLED is the current sweet spot until marketing takes a break and technology catches up.
    Get one of these, or enjoy what you have until you can.

Lottery win I’d have went for Sony’s 77” OLED, silly money though!
    Last edited by Gazjam; 20-03-2019 at 07:28.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Greg.

It might have been a 85"......should of wrote it down......CRS..........LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Manicatel View Post
    75” & 80”?
    The 75 was probably a QLED screen, didn’t think they made an 80” screen currently. I thought the Samsung range was 75, 82 & 85”.
    They always strike me as being WAYyyy to bright, forced & exaggerated compared to a Sony OLED, LG or Pana.

I'm Greg.

The 75"er looked pretty good......I have a 65" Samsung at home and looked pretty much the same......have tired eyes though..."older" guy...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    65’ OLED is the current sweet spot until marketing takes a break and technology catches up.
    Get one of these, or enjoy what you have until you can.

Lottery win I’d have went for Sony’s 77” OLED, silly money though!

I'm Mike.

Might be that one was being fed 4k UHD and the other 1080p HD, at that size 4k does make a lot of sense

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread