+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VOLUMIO

I'm Andre.

Default VOLUMIO

Hello everyone,

Glad to be back here representing VOLUMIO.
    As you may or may not know, VOLUMIO recently got into the hardware business.
    Makes sense when you think about it since they created the best audiophile music player software that all the other manufacturers are using for free.

They released the PRIMO , a music network player/streamer that stands out.

No more RPI
    >> it's ASUS Tinkerboard powered. Better connectivity, better memory speed, embedded software (no more pesky SD cards to deal with...), less limitations overall.

3 in 1 audio outputs
    >> analog/digital/USB to DAC (up to PCM 32 bit 768 kHz and DSD512)

Supports all formats
    >>DSD, WAV, FLAC, Alac, Aac, Vorbis, Cue, Mp3 and more

ESS SABRE DAC inside.

and then of course, the legendary VOLUMIO software and features (multi language, TIDAL/QUBOOZ ready, bunch of plugins such as Spotify, Pandora, Youtube, Logitech Media and more...NAS , UPNP and more... )
    you can read more here
    https://volumio.org/primo/

volumio-primo-front-main.jpg

I would love to open a discussion and get your feedback about it and them even get a review unit rolling with the new myVolumio software and license.

Cheers and chat soon
    The best software and now hardware...
    VOLUMIO.org
    Ask for Andre.

I'm Adrian.

Hello Andre

Nice to see you on AoS. I am a Volumio user and stream radio station a lot (I try and user higher res when possible), I have around 1400 albums and various tracks on a NAS drive mainly FLAC or M4A, and a few MP3. I also stream with TIDAL either using Volumio or through Audirvana on my Mac, we also use iPad and iPhones.

Late last year I entered this realm with a RPI/HiFiBerry and Digi plus into a Caiman SEG, I went down this route as it seemed the most cost effective option at the time giving a good musical quality and I could use the DAC with my CD to hopefully improve SQ.

At the time I looked at single box solutions but price and limitations put me off, unfortunately the new offering was not around then and came out only a month or so later. If it had been there I probably would have gone for it.

I would be most interested in trying out the PRIMO as it could be a good next step for me and allow me to consolidate into one box.

Please let me know if this might be possible.

Kind Regards

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Andre.

Thanks for the feedback Adrian.
    I'm always fascinated by the hardware journey of audiophiles such as yourself.

I would love to have a PRIMO review unit roll within the community and get the feedback.
    This is the 1st product that VOLUMIO releases and they are very eager to see what people have to say.

Sales have been amazing thanks to a very tightly knitted community that supports them and feedback has been very good on the sound quality, so good that its now time to spread the word.

Lets see how we can make that happen here.
    VOLUMIO.org
    Ask for Andre.

I'm Edward.

Very interesting. Love the way you are have integrated several functions within one package and made it simple to set up and use.

What are your Roon plans please? Would possibly be interested in using this as a Roon end point (I have Roon Core already solid elsewhere).
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Andre.

Hi Ed,

thanks for participating in the discussion.
    count about 3 months for the primo to be a full fledged roon end point, its being certified, so all depends on them now.
    VOLUMIO.org
    Ask for Andre.

I'm Edward.

That's good news Andre that you are already in the Roon cert stage. Good luck with that but I'm sure it will be fine.

Small follow on question if I may? Is the SPDIF output taken from the internal DAC or is it a bit perfect pass through from the ethernet/wifi link? What max rates are you employing on the spdif channel?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Andre.

Hey Ed, just the kind of questions I and the rest of the members love.
    The SPDIF output is taken directly from the Tinkerboard, so it's bit-perfect until 24bits/192.

Guys, I am making a list and checking it twice for a PRIMO review pass around unit.
    Already got a few PMs... if interested, you know where to reach me.
    Please include your address so we can keep in somewhat regional.
    VOLUMIO.org
    Ask for Andre.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreVOLUMIO View Post
    Hi Ed,

thanks for participating in the discussion.
    count about 3 months for the primo to be a full fledged roon end point, its being certified, so all depends on them now.
    will the older units update to that Andre? Just your primo is on my list but is it better to wait
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreVOLUMIO View Post
    Hey Ed, just the kind of questions I and the rest of the members love.
    The SPDIF output is taken directly from the Tinkerboard, so it's bit-perfect until 24bits/192.

Guys, I am making a list and checking it twice for a PRIMO review pass around unit.
    Already got a few PMs... if interested, you know where to reach me.
    Please include your address so we can keep in somewhat regional.
    Thanks Andre

But is that after being processed by the onboard dac? What I'm trying to establish is if I could use the Primo simply as a digital transport (roon core > ethernet > primo > spdif >external dac).

I'm Grant.

if its spidif it wont have been in the dac, or i wouldnt think so.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast