+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Spotify on Laptop to amp - simpleton needs advice

I'm Steve.

Default Getting Spotify on Laptop to amp - simpleton needs advice

Hi all,

As it stands, I listen to Spotify from my laptop by using headphone outlet to RCA plugs in my amp. Is there a better way sound quality-wise? I have a little SMSL DAC (SD-79311). the laptop (Samsung Notebook) has a USB 3.0 port, the DAC has ports for optical and coaxial.

No sniggering at the back!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Rich.

I use a little Behringer USB dac when I want to listen to my laptop. About £20 and a very noticeable improvement over the headphone socket.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Grant.

Different dac that has usb or a usb to spidif convertor to change the usb of pc into coax or tislink
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

I see a Behringer UCA202 on Amazon, for £17 quid, is that it? And I see it says "hardware interface - USB 2.0" My laptop apparently is 3.0. Is that a problem? All this info is just numbers to me, and a bit more than my brain cell can handle.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I see a Behringer UCA202 on Amazon, for £17 quid, is that it? And I see it says "hardware interface - USB 2.0" My laptop apparently is 3.0. Is that a problem? All this info is just numbers to me, and a bit more than my brain cell can handle.
    That's the badger! I was using it with my Asus laptop that is USB 3.0 with no issues.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Gary.

If I understand your issue, you want to listen to Spotify on your system not from your laptop?

If this is true then a simple way is to use a Chromcast Audio. ( I know they are discontinued but you can still get them).
    This is a small disc about 50mm diameter. You connect this via optical or to your DAC, then to amp. Also direct to amp via analogue. This gets Spotify direct from your router, your laptop acts as remote control.

Oh the CCA is about £30 new.

You will be impressed by the quality.

If I misunderstood your requirements, sorry.

Gary
    Last edited by Stryder5; 19-03-2019 at 07:38.
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Steve.

Interesting...

I had pretty much decided to go for the Behringer, as recommended by Stairpost, but I think I may have one of those Chromecast thingies knocking about. I'll ask the boss about it in the morning. I only plan to run this through my rather modest second system, so I'm sure improvements can be made without too much expense.

I'm ok with stuff providing all I have to do is plug 'em in

Many thanks guys.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Gary.

It has to be Chromcast Audio, not Video.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Interesting...

I had pretty much decided to go for the Behringer, as recommended by Stairpost, but I think I may have one of those Chromecast thingies knocking about. I'll ask the boss about it in the morning. I only plan to run this through my rather modest second system, so I'm sure improvements can be made without too much expense.

I'm ok with stuff providing all I have to do is plug 'em in

Many thanks guys.

I'm Mike.

You’ll also need a Mini Toslink to Toslink cable to be able to output better ( Digital ) audio to your DAC.

Note that using this digital out already assigns the CCA to output higher quality audio over the rca connector.

If you only use the supplied rca cable it will be no better than your laptop.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    You’ll also need a Mini Toslink to Toslink cable to be able to output better ( Digital ) audio to your DAC.

Note that using this digital out already assigns the CCA to output higher quality audio over the rca connector.

If you only use the supplied rca cable it will be no better than your laptop.
    I would disagree with this as the CCA is used as source not the laptop

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast