+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Necessary Evil - Cleaning Records

I'm Ian.

I built an ultrasonic cleaner about 10 yrs ago, working with some guys on DIY audio.
    It works reasonable well but can be expensive if not used regularly re keeping it full of CLEAN fluid.
    I bought the Ultasonic unit on Ebay, the unit failed and was, after some hassle, replaced

Drying the records was an issue.
    A few months ago I bought a S/H project cleaner. My experience is that it beats the Ultasonic . Its quicker and the high vacumn is much better at extracting the grit from the tracks and drying is easy. Very happy with it so far.
    I still have the option to use both, but so far I haven't had to, its easier to do a double run on the Project.
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm mark.

I'd only used Knosti before the Ultrasonic, whenever I've been near the vac cleaners the noise has put me off, but always good to have alternatives. The dream machine is still a Loricroft

*Velvet Vortex has a drain tap so fluid can be filtered after each use. I guess the technology (all the baths are sourced in China) has moved along a bit.

I'm Adam.

Tom of this parish has already posted about the off the shelf ultrasonic options.

I personally went for the Audiodesk Systeme RCM
    After faffing with other options including vacuum... this is a breeze and perfect!
    Stick the record in the slot and press a button
    Come back 5 minutes later ...
    Clean dry record. No brainer..but does cost .
    Got a recon unit and wasn’t half as expensive as you’d think.
    I know they save a few quid but the DIY approach looks like a relative nightmare in comparison.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Tom of this parish has already done the off the shelf ultrasonic options.
    I went for the Audiodesk Systeme RCM
    After faffing with other options including vacuum... this is a breeze and perfect!
    Stick the record in the slot and press a button
    Come back 5 minutes later ...
    Clean dry record. No brainer..but does cost .
    Yes I went for a Degritter - still running the prototype but my (long delayed) production version will, I'm told, ship next week. Put record in the slot, hit the button, come back and play. In parellel I had the top of the line Loricraft which is whisper-quiet, I hung onto it expecting to use it in combination, but in the end I found having just the Degritter works fine on its own.

If you have lots of records it's a no-brainer. The AudioDesk is pretty good too (I had a loan of one for a bit).

For me the driver is ease of use = more frequent use. With the old Moth I used to have to go to the study (or garage) and wear ear defenders - hence the massive 'to clean' pile that never seemed to shrink- it was just too much hassle to do it too often, or to do too many at once.

The Loricraft changed that - I was able to do records in the living room as they needed cleaning - but you still need to tend the machine - put fluid on, apply brush, set the vacuum, rinse, repeat, turn over and do the same thing all over again. Of course it also cleaned better than the Moth.

By contrast to either scenario, one slot, one button cleaning is a total joy. And the Degritter looks more like a high-end toaster or coffee-maker than your classic large box RCM - scores very highly for domestic acceptability.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    I'm in that same boat, I clean on the Project and rush to get the record into its new anti-static sleeve to prevent dust etc falling on it.
    Dunno what fluid you use, but even with an IPA mix the record needs a minute or two, depending on ambient temperature, to fully dry. Actually, you can see when a record is still damp by holding it up to natural light; it'll shine when dry (unless cream-crackered !) Put a newly VPIed record into a Nag. style sleeve too early once and found a greyish film on it some weeks later when I played it; mind you, it came off with another clean.

Mentions of cost of running US cleaners in previous posts. Is this because of the fluid? Can't you use cheap to manufacture IPA mix in these?

I'm Grant.

When I take a record off the moth it's dry. I only clean when I find a dirty one. Brian was here a few days ago and both records I used needed cleaned doh.. Both now done
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    When I take a record off the moth it's dry.
    Same here, but vacuuming alone cannot fully dry a record; only evaporation can achieve that, which is why I never sleeve directly after vacuuming.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Dunno what fluid you use, but even with an IPA mix the record needs a minute or two, depending on ambient temperature, to fully dry. Actually, you can see when a record is still damp by holding it up to natural light; it'll shine when dry (unless cream-crackered !) Put a newly VPIed record into a Nag. style sleeve too early once and found a greyish film on it some weeks later when I played it; mind you, it came off with another clean.

Mentions of cost of running US cleaners in previous posts. Is this because of the fluid? Can't you use cheap to manufacture IPA mix in these?
    I use Moth fluid as it happens but the point I was making was that I race to get it into its anti-static sleeve and then leave it out for twenty minutes on the turntable. It was supposed to be irony I think

As an aside I don't put them away wet.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123