+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tape City in 'Nam

I'm Charlie.

Thank you everyone. I have a few 1/2 inch master tapes for the Studer A820, as opposed to about 100 1/4 inch masters or dubs. This was Stewart's pride and joy - so I feel very honoured to be its guardian. This actual machine belonged to Simon Heyworth, who helped to set up Manor Studios for Branson; SH was the producer for Tubular Bells and he has mastered numerous albums and re-relaeses over the last 35 years.

The A820 has just come back from some repairs with blown Rifa caps in the AC suppressor circuit and motor controller boards. Simon Griffett at Audio Related in Bucks fixed this. SG looks after SH's machines, as well as AIR and EMI studios.

There's no point in copying from 15 IPS 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch. I will have to keep my eye out for other 1/2 inch tapes over time. They're a lot harder to come by.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Jo.

Default Poshpants >>>

Hello Charlie, that's quite a setup you have. My uncle had a pair of swanky Reel to Reels, I can't remember what make they were, but they sounded fabulous to my young ears [back in the 1970s]. He played classical and Spanish guitar. I took a look at your website and spent some time enjoying your photography.

I'm Stuart.

Awesome Charlie !!!!
    820 from the Manor and MTR from Church studios (if it’s the MTR I’m thinking of)
    Now that’s Heritage for you

I'm Robert.

Wow !!
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed56 View Post
    Awesome Charlie !!!!
    820 from the Manor and MTR from Church studios (if it’s the MTR I’m thinking of)
    Now that’s Heritage for you
    Stuart,

The MTR is indeed ex-Church Studios. I would need to ask Simon Heyworth or Simon Griffett about the A820; I'm not sure if SH had this at the Manor, or whether he bought it later when he set up his won studio.

Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm John.

Wow, never mind the gear, love that room!

Was just showing my wife how you have seamlessly blended the equipment into the space without it detracting from the overall feel of the room......still the spare room for my system then

I'm Charlie.

My new vinyl addition - Schroeder Reference 9 inch Cocobolo - courtesy of 29mile on HFWW - for some reason, a self appointed Schroeder expert said that this was a DIY copy - fortunately for me it's genuine

Many thanks also to Graham Tricker at GT Audio, who supplied me with a new Platine Verdier armboard along with the correct length M4 bolts.

The Schroeder Model 2 has been retired temporarily. The Allaerts MC1B sounds fabulous on the new tonearm.

I'm Timothy.

That’s a beauty Charlie! Nicely done! The Platine is such a work of art, and your arms as well, not mention the cartridge! Enjoy!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    That’s a beauty Charlie! Nicely done! The Platine is such a work of art, and your arms as well, not mention the cartridge! Enjoy!
    Tim, it certainly is a thing off beauty. Frank makes divine tonearms, where all the parts are machined to fit perfectly. What else would you expect from a watchmaker?

Charlie

I'm David.

That looks gorgeous Charlie. I saw the advert when someone questioned the authenticity of the arm, pleased it was authentic and has gone to a good home.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast