+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The vagaries of vinyl

I'm Russell.

I know I’ve gotten into it on the Vinyl Engine forum with members there, and it seems to me that here in the States we had a generally higher grade of record than many in Europe did. I got in a huge tiff with about a dozen of them because I swore I only had one record out of 600 that was non-concentric . The hole wasn’t in the middle, and even that one was only slight. And that I only had one or two that were warped. They flew off in disbelief and called me a liar! So, for what it’s worth, I seem to have had very good luck with the quality of most all of my vinyl, even used. Sure I’ve got my share of scratched, and poorly handled records, but as far as poor craftsmanship, no real issues.

I had about a dozen records I sprayed with Groove Glide back in about ‘79 or ‘80, and it didn’t seem to make much difference at the time. But here we are near 40 years later and it really helped preserve the records that were treated. I don’t know that the product is the same as it was back then? It’s not packaged as it was then, and I haven’t tried any since.

Russell

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I know I’ve gotten into it on the Vinyl Engine forum with members there, and it seems to me that here in the States we had a generally higher grade of record than many in Europe did. I got in a huge tiff with about a dozen of them because I swore I only had one record out of 600 that was non-concentric . The hole wasn’t in the middle, and even that one was only slight. And that I only had one or two that were warped. They flew off in disbelief and called me a liar! So, for what it’s worth, I seem to have had very good luck with the quality of most all of my vinyl, even used. Sure I’ve got my share of scratched, and poorly handled records, but as far as poor craftsmanship, no real issues.

I had about a dozen records I sprayed with Groove Glide back in about ‘79 or ‘80, and it didn’t seem to make much difference at the time. But here we are near 40 years later and it really helped preserve the records that were treated. I don’t know that the product is the same as it was back then? It’s not packaged as it was then, and I haven’t tried any since.

Russell
    Interesting, I was under the impression that record grades, generally speaking. were/are higher in Europe than the States...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I agree - for the most part American pressings of '60s and '70s stuff were much better than their European conterparts. The sleeves were better, thicker and the seam didn't become unstuck as would often happen with UK printed sleeves.

For some reason US pressings were thicker and heavier, despite the oil embargo of the early seventies, causing the average weight of UK pressings to fall below 100g. That said, I do have an US import of an Ian Matthews recording where the gatefold sleeve is probably four times thicker than the LP itself!
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    Interesting, I was under the impression that record grades, generally speaking. were/are higher in Europe than the States...
    Puts the cat amongst the pidgeons but I nearly always prefer a UK/ Euro press to the contempory USA press.

US covers are thicker and heavier but tend to be held together by a very thin printed paper cover slick, which is usually non laminated leading to covers with dreadful surface wear and huge seam splits.

IMHO the USA pressings always seemed "bright" as well and more prone to surface. As for 45's I don't think any 70's UK issues were pressed using styrene which was common in the US because it was cheaper (and sounds it).
    Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm Russell.

I was speaking of pressing quality, fairly consistent pressings, rare to see a record non-concentric. Or as was spoken of earlier, pressings that were dull, as if the pressing master was overused. Some records were made warped perhaps? But most warps are due to poor handling, stacking then sideways, leaving them in the attic where it gets hot , etc. so I’m not sure that issue applies here?

If there was ever any difference in sound quality, I wouldn’t know. I only own a very few import records, ( like 3) and usually don’t have a US pressing to compare it to, and that’s why I bought an import. I agree that if US pressings are brighter, or any other such consistent differences, the vinyl formula would definitely be the reason.

I read an article within the past 5 years or so talking about the new vinyl formulas being used to make these 180g records, and unlike how they did it back in the ‘60’s, they actually are designing it for durability and sound quality. Better vinyl! And it’s clear! They have to add the black to make them black, interesting stuff.

I know one of the people on the other forum that said I was lying, was located in Norway or Finland, somewhere up there, so I have no idea where his records were pressed for the most part? I’m sure quality varies even across countries in Europe. He claimed that a full one third of his records were non-concentric, some severe, to where you could hear the wowing sound as it played, and see the needle going side to side. I had some 78’s like that when I was a little kid.

Russell

I'm Martin.

I couldn't give you a number or a percentage but I do have at least several records (out of about 600) that have an off-centre hole. It only has to be slightly off-centre to have an effect.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

I have never had an off centre hole but have had off centre pressing where the grooves have not been pressed square with the record. It cause terrible wow and flutter!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

I've not had that. I do have a copy of Steely Dan 'Gold' where the stylus just skates across the record and won't play at all. I've no idea why that is, the disc looks to be in perfect condition. Anyone got any ideas?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm guy.

Back in the 70's I was told (by a record shop assistant) to put a coin on the peadshell to cure this.
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Martin.

Not tried that but I did try banging the tracking weight up to maximum and that didn't help.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast