+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The vagaries of vinyl

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    I'm not sure that this is as clear cut as some would make out. I've enjoyed quite a bit of re-mastered new vinyl: Kate Bush and Jethro Tull for a start off. The Abbey Road half speed version of John Martyn Solid Air was also excellent I thought. I think you have to differentiate between the sound and the quality of the vinyl itself - if you know what I mean - a well mastered recording is useless if the pressing is rubbish. I've had quite a few issues with K-Scope recordings. They look perfect but have huge amounts of surface noise. It's very frustrating. Buying good first pressings is not always easy either - there many sellers who claim Near Mint which are anything but. Overall it's all a bit of a lottery

BTW - Where's this Audiphile Vinyl shop? Sounds facinating
    Absolutely, the examples you have given (including John Martin which I also ordered a few days ago) are some exceptions to the rule with careful mastering, pressing etc. It appears the majority of new releases are not subject to such attention/ controls. The shop is https://snvinyl.co.uk/epages/eshop94...ps/eshop943300 and it has some very good vinyl available....
    Last edited by da2222; 09-04-2019 at 18:02.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I recently bought the remastered ‘My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts’ (on vinyl, obviously) and it sounds outstanding.
    I have the original 1981 pressing, which I always thought was pretty good. Pity you don't live nearer, Mark - we could do a comparison.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Deleted.

Indeed. If you find yourself in my local any time you are welcome to a listen.
    Account Deleted

I'm Grant.

I got an audiophile copy of little girl blue and it sounds poor. Not a patch on my other versions.. It cost a bomb too.. It will be the last
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I got an audiophile copy of little girl blue and it sounds poor. Not a patch on my other versions.. It cost a bomb too.. It will be the last
    Which version? Analogue productions? 33/3 or 45? I've got the former and in a couple of places the piano annoyingly distorts, otherwise the sound is exceptional. Currently exchanging for the 45 rpm version...

I've got a pristine 1st pressing mono version of 'Nina Sings the Blues' but sonically not great on my system- one word: Dynagroove
    Last edited by da2222; 09-04-2019 at 18:34.

I'm Grant.

Yup the 33.none of my other versions do this so it's been badly done. I'm a big nina fan and have a few different version s
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Drew.

Yup the 33.none of my other versions do this so it's been badly done. I'm a big nina fan and have a few different version s
    My version distorts on the track "You'll Never Walk Alone," which I suppose in all honesty is no bad thing

I'm Grant.

First 2 tracks on mine plus a couple others. No marks and it was sealed but its a disgrace for the cost and all the so called checking they are meant to go through. Lost a customer for ever
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Drew.

First 2 tracks on mine plus a couple others. No marks and it was sealed but its a disgrace for the cost and all the so called checking they are meant to go through. Lost a customer for ever
    The AP Aretha Franklin Gold LP 45 rpm on the other hand is pretty much perfect...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    Which version? Analogue productions? 33/3 or 45? I've got the former and in a couple of places the piano annoyingly distorts, otherwise the sound is exceptional. Currently exchanging for the 45 rpm version...

I've got a pristine 1st pressing mono version of 'Nina Sings the Blues' but sonically not great on my system- one word: Dynagroove
    Well there you go - "Dynagroove" was a misconceived process whereby the groove was deliberately distorted so as to supposedly cancel out the effect of tracking and tracing distortion. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast