+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: My recent experiences with synegistic research fuses

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    How can a waveform which is AC, ie. the current travels each way alternately, be better acived by a fuse being one way or the other?

This is like speaker cables supposedly having directionality, when, although asymmetrical, the current waveform is also alternate.
    (Kimber with arrows on).
    You're asking the question....it would serve better if you explain how it can't?
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Alan.

this is an age old discussion, which will eventually turn ugly....it normally does
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The crystal structure of metals only affects the resistive losses and is completely non-directional. Resistive losses are caused by two effects: electron scattering by electron-electron collision, and electron scattering by the crystal boundaries and dislocations. The former accounts for about 85% of the losses, the latter about 15%.

Taken to the extreme, even if the 'fuse' acted like a perfect diode so that, say, only the positive-going half of the AC sinusoid was passed, if the diode was then reversed then only the negative-going half would pass. Since the mains waveform is symmetrical, the diode effect would 'sound' the same, regardless of direction.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The crystal structure of metals only affects the resistive losses and is completely non-directional. Resistive losses are caused by two effects: electron scattering by electron-electron collision, and electron scattering by the crystal boundaries and dislocations. The former accounts for about 85% of the losses, the latter about 15%.

Taken to the extreme, even if the 'fuse' acted like a perfect diode so that, say, only the positive-going half of the AC sinusoid was passed, if the diode was then reversed then only the negative-going half would pass. Since the mains waveform is symmetrical, the diode effect would 'sound' the same, regardless of direction.
    Maybe the internal of the fuse isnt just a piece of wire......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    Maybe the internal of the fuse isnt just a piece of wire......

I didn't say it was. My comments about resistive losses in metals was in reply tp Oliver's post.

As far as I understand your fuses involve a graphene film - a monatomic graphite layer. I assume this has a linear transfer characteristic, that is it is purely resistive. Even if it is not linear, and has a diode characteristic, while this would affect the performance of anything downstream of it, the effect would not be changed by turning the fuse around.

If your fuses are intended to be directional, I would have thought the manufacturer would have marked the preferred direction on the body of the fuse. Does the manufacturer have anything to say about the directionality?
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I didn't say it was. My comments about resistive losses in metals was in reply tp Oliver's post.

As far as I understand your fuses involve a graphene film - a monatomic graphite layer. I assume this has a linear transfer characteristic, that is it is purely resistive. Even if it is not linear, and has a diode characteristic, while this would affect the performance of anything downstream of it, the effect would not be changed by turning the fuse around.

If your fuses are intended to be directional, I would have thought the manufacturer would have marked the preferred direction on the body of the fuse. Does the manufacturer have anything to say about the directionality?
    Yes they say they are directional and to follow the direction of the lettering with the path of the power. Also they have a little black dot of material in the middle of the fuse that they say not to remove. Looks a bit like velcro fabric (not hooks).

Well your findings would seem to confirm the manufacturer's recommendation, though I would have been better if you had been unaware of the change of direction and thus remove possible 'expectation bias'.

As long as you are pleased with the results (and you are not the only one who is), then that is all that really matters.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    Why do we all have different amplifiers??..why is one capacitor better than another...why is one tweeter better than another, why is one voice coil better than another... why does silver, gold, aluminium, copper and rhodium sound different when electricity is passed through it..ie..why do silver interconnects sound brighter than copper interconnects...why do cable manufacturers invest millions in the construction of cables..infact why does a hifi manufacturer invest so much money in hifi at all....I'll bet your interconnects are not the cheapest thing you could by...why do you use expensive interconnects, they are only transfering a signal...it's ony a piece of wire...why do these heavy top quality speaker cables sound better than bell wire...it's only wire transfering a signal to the speakers....truth be known..nobody does, but they all make a difference....everybody's hearing is different...try a fuse and then, make a comment...if you can't hear the difference, you can't here it..if you can..well... the sky's your limit...
    Some things are perceived to work better than others, sometimes for good reason. But unfortunately it's all the maybe's that encourage the snakeoil merchants and puts money in their pockets.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dennis.

Oliva, I had both Kimber 4TC and 8TC some time ago, and which were described as directional.
    Whilst I didn't try the 'wrong way', there appeared to be no structural difference at least.

There is a misconception that a signal travels in one direction from a pre to a power amp, or from a power amp to a speaker.
    It does not, what is going on is only the coupling of circuits in a loop, source and load, and although "source" seems to imply that there is, as in the source of water flowing in a river, there is no overall energy going irreversibly in one direction; it is all circular flow, in a loop.

Some time ago I came across an illustration of a speaker connection including a key, some (oven) tin foil, and a paper clip in a speaker connection, shown, DB I seem to remember, not to be perceivable with and without them in circuit.

DBB tests are the way, especially to avoid placebophilia.

I'm Grant.

if you dont believe in directionality etc why didn't you put them in the other way round?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast