+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: My recent experiences with synegistic research fuses

I'm Martin.

I did a search to see if anyone had done any proper blind testing with fuses but could not find anything.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

"if you dont believe in directionality etc why didn't you put them in the other way round? "

At that time Grant I was so sceptical I didn't bother - slightly arrogantly dismissive objectivist.

DBT is hard work, and we need a lab in which to do it on everything, but life and time constraints seem to preclude it.
    Not that I am unwilling to do work on this, there can't be many people who carried a paraline along the Strand to set it up at BBC premises for evaluation, and later a pair of Tannoy Gold 15s, didn't carry those though.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I believe in cable directionality - I make up all my own cables which invariably use different connectors at each end (balanced XLR, so different sex connectors at the ends), therefore can only be used in one 'direction'. It is physically impossible to reverse them. Even the few unbalanced interconnects used in my system have different connectors at their ends.
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

A lot of work, or money to make two sets with opposite polarity, and then you've wasted the money on one pair until you can find a use for the spare cable.

I'm Adam.

Cables are only directional if they have different connectors at either end.

Yes, if they are only shielded at one end then there may be a better way to connect them from the point of view of shielding but this does not make them ‘directional’ per se.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Geoff.

The perfect cable or fuse would have exactly the same characteristics in either direction, in other words properly bi-polar. If not, there's something wrong with it!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    Why do we all have different amplifiers??..why is one capacitor better than another...why is one tweeter better than another, why is one voice coil better than another... why does silver, gold, aluminium, copper and rhodium sound different when electricity is passed through it..ie..why do silver interconnects sound brighter than copper interconnects...why do cable manufacturers invest millions in the construction of cables..infact why does a hifi manufacturer invest so much money in hifi at all....I'll bet your interconnects are not the cheapest thing you could by...why do you use expensive interconnects, they are only transfering a signal...it's ony a piece of wire...why do these heavy top quality speaker cables sound better than bell wire...it's only wire transfering a signal to the speakers....truth be known..nobody does, but they all make a difference....everybody's hearing is different...try a fuse and then, make a comment...if you can't hear the difference, you can't here it..if you can..well... the sky's your limit...
    Assuming you believe that they do, it's for one very simple reason, to try to convince potential customers that their products are better than their competitors so that they can make a profit.
    If they truly had any conviction in their product they could make a very easy $1million by taking up James Randi's challenge and proving their cable sounds better, oddly not one has yet done so, surely you have to wonder why?

I have 3 sets of interconnects costing between £9 and £125 and I can hear absolutely no difference between them whatsoever
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Assuming you believe that they do, it's for one very simple reason, to try to convince potential customers that their products are better than their competitors so that they can make a profit.
    If they truly had any conviction in their product they could make a very easy $1million by taking up James Randi's challenge and proving their cable sounds better, oddly not one has yet done so, surely you have to wonder why?

I have 3 sets of interconnects costing between £9 and £125 and I can hear absolutely no difference between them whatsoever
    Actually Randi withdrew his challenge when he was advised that speaker cables can actually sound different. He reworked it so you can only use cables that have exactly the same LCR characteristics.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    If they truly had any conviction in their product they could make a very easy $1million by taking up James Randi's n challenge and proving their cable sounds better, oddly not one has yet done so, surely you have to wonder why?

I’ve owned cables worth a few quid to thousands (Per meter) and have heard differences between them.
    Also got angry at manufacturers (and Forum Peeps in the last 20 yrs or so) saying that it must sound better cos it cost more.

Funny old game innit?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 15-04-2019 at 18:42.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

I have no problem with anybody spending their money on thousand pound cables, fuses, plugs or whatever and if they're happy with the result, good for them.
    What I do object to is when they intentionally or inadvertently influence others to do the same (this isn't aimed at the OP) by singing the praises of their latest purchase as though it is factual and, worse still, suggesting anyone who says anything to the contrary is stupid, deaf or their equipment isn't good enough to exploit the difference (in fairness I haven't seen this behaviour on this forum but it is certainly prevelant on others)
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast