+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a turntable mat

I'm Mike.

Default Recommend me a turntable mat

I have two turntables, an AR Legend and a Linn LP12 Sondek - are there any turntable mats that you would recommend that would be an improvement on the standard felt mats?

Thanks in advance - hope this is in the correct section as I am new here.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

When I had an LP12, I used a ringmat, it was ok, not sure it's worth bothering changing from the felt to be honest.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm David.

When I owned an LP12, Funk Firm's acromat was a real improvement over the felt one. I have one somewhere which I was going to try on a different tt, PM me your address if you would like to try it.

Bigman80 Guest

I'll sending the acromat for your TT because you can't have a Tenuto.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I'll sending the acromat for your TT because you can't have a Tenuto.
    Sorry Bigman80, could you explain this thanks.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    When I owned an LP12, Funk Firm's acromat was a real improvement over the felt one. I have one somewhere which I was going to try on a different tt, PM me your address if you would like to try it.
    PM sent

I'm Paul.

Do people find that there is any staic build up between Achromat and the record? I have a SDS mat and a homemade felt-like mat made from a very thin conductive fabric that is used in pressure sensors which is bonded to the spindle which is earthed. Its a heavyweight solution and I would like to find out if a lighter Achromat would work better.
    ~Paul~

I'm guy.

well worth trying one of these (imo):

http://www.analogueinnovation.com/page6.htm

I have version 1
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Notts Analogue Spacemat! Way better than the felt mat on pre-Cirkus LP12's but less good with the Cirkus decks and it's only twenty quid or so retail. Current LP12's are a rather different animal though I think. The old fruitbox colourations are very much reduced these days, but I haven't had the chance to really 'play' with a current one to find out about current mat advise and choices. Spacemat on the leaner livelier legend should be just fine i think.

The Ringmat used to work really well but was and is expensive, as is the Achromat. I found the sound less splashy than a felt mat but the 'calmer' quality may not suit some older cartridges with high frequency roll-offs. I think those who look more at supporting the inner to centre of the record rather than the outside edge do have a point here.

I still like cheapo cork mats though... The prices of so many 'me too' add-ons is effin' obscene imo.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm jamie.

the space mat does not fit the lp12 due to the lip,or at least the one i bought after your recommendation didnt dave.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast