+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Record Weight Stabilizer - yes ro no?

I'm Mike.

Default Aluminium Record Weight Stabilizer - yes ro no?

I've see this on Amazon and am considering a purchase but thought I'd garner the thoughts of the collective on here. Has anybody else used this or another similar product? Is it a worthwhile investment or am I purchasing snake oil?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...7JEIYGVK&psc=1

I'm Adam.

Looks smart and for less than the price of a fancy LP, what have you got to lose?!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Mike.

Both weights and clamps do a job and for the price you can't go wrong, personally I've never seen the need to spend hundreds of £££ on simple pieces of kit like this

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Adrian.

A TT weight is a TT weight what ever its price. There has been much discussion about some that purport to be tuned to damp certain low frequency resonance, whether they do or not I don't think anyone knows for certain. One thing I would say is that IMO if you get better record contact to the platter then you should experience better bass definition and improved soundstage. The results will probably vary from TT to TT depending on the density of the platter. For the money it is certainly worth having a go.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Andrew.

Are you intending on using this TT weight on a spring suspension turntable? If so I wouldn't bother, maybe a michele clamp could be better. The suspension will be severely compromised if the TT weight is too high and then you'll start to compromise the vibration isolation to the platter and cartridge that those springs guard against.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Frank.

[QUOTE=Mike Harbon;1070366]I've see this on Amazon and am considering a purchase but thought I'd garner the thoughts of the collective on here. Has anybody else used this or another similar product? Is it a worthwhile investment or am I purchasing snake oil?

Would certainly recommend this version (OK on decent suspended TT's - unless the specified weight is too much; ie no probs with Dunlop Transcription/Thorens 126:-
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-3-colo...i:283241340605

Bought 2: an efficient seller: the first came under a week. The strobe/bubble-level is a very useful bonus. Black-only, it appears.

(the exact same item on Amazon is nearly a Tenner more)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Are you intending on using this TT weight on a spring suspension turntable? If so I wouldn't bother, maybe a michele clamp could be better. The suspension will be severely compromised if the TT weight is too high and then you'll start to compromise the vibration isolation to the platter and cartridge that those springs guard against.
    Agree - I prefer to use a clamp as a heavy puck can put undue wear on the bearing. However it can be argued that noise and vibration from the turntable bearing will be directly transferred to the record surface by a clamp.

Horses for courses and all that ....
    Barry

I'm James.

If you want to see what to expect then borrow or buy a half kilo spool of solder or copper wire and try that. Not the same but not much different either. I bought a fancy one with a spirit level in it for use on a Voyd, ignoring my own advice. Not for all suspensions apparently...
    Also there's an interaction with the mat: if the machined hollow for the label is too deep the puck can lift the outside of the record off the mat.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Paul.

[QUOTE=tinear;1070444]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Harbon View Post
    I've see this on Amazon and am considering a purchase but thought I'd garner the thoughts of the collective on here. Has anybody else used this or another similar product? Is it a worthwhile investment or am I purchasing snake oil?

Would certainly recommend this version (OK on decent suspended TT's - unless the specified weight is too much; ie no probs with Dunlop Transcription/Thorens 126:-
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-3-colo...i:283241340605

Bought 2: an efficient seller: the first came under a week. The strobe/bubble-level is a very useful bonus. Black-only, it appears.

(the exact same item on Amazon is nearly a Tenner more)
    I have one of those in the ally finish, but unless I am missing something i would not call it a clamp but a weight, Find it very useful for levelling off the turntable especially if you move about like i have done in the past, would recommend.
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm Mick.

Never found any great change in sound qualities on or off. What I find it good for if you have any warped records as it holds them flat. I wouldn't pay a fortune for one as the all do the same thing. Also look at the extra strain it may put on belts etc unless you are using a direct drive then weight shouldn't be a problem.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast