+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Streaming starting from scratch

I'm Claire.

Default Streaming starting from scratch

I’ve been happily playing music via CD player or turntable for ever. However, in an attempt to de-clutter our lives we are planning to go digital...with the exception of keeping my turntable and LP’s...okay, part digital. Basically, my floor standing speakers, cd’s, CD player and spare amps are all being evicted. My husband wants minimal kit and ceiling speakers in a vaulted ceiling. His idea is get a Sonus system.
    I’m a digital audio Luddite, but I think this sounds dull and boring, the only Sonus I’ve listened to music through have been bobby basic micro setups and not in the same league as my mediocre leviathan setup. That said I have little idea of reasonable alternatives and I’m running out of time.

My budget is going to be pretty tight, I will buy secondhand where possible. Worst case scenario is, to keep my Rega brio R and turntable, connect up my elderly MacBook - fill it with ripped CD’s, and focus the spend on speakers.

It would be great to hear from you if you have gone down a similar route, what will I need to buy, are ceiling speakers a dead-loss, what to prioritise, mistakes to avoid etc.

Thanks.

I'm James.

One thing I wouldn't do is get rid of your CDs once you've ripped them. Cant advise on streaming as it's not for me
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Grant.

I would get an rpi3 and either a dac hat or digi hat depending on if you have a dac. stream from your pc to that. use a program like audirvana on pc and volumio on pi. control it from phone/tablet or pc. once set up its simple and sounds superb. you will change your mind on dull digital... rip cds and keep them. maybe invest in a streaming service like qoboz or tidal; or even spotify... your good to go and it wont cost that much
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I would get an rpi3 and either a dac hat or digi hat depending on if you have a dac. stream from your pc to that. use a program like audirvana on pc and volumio on pi. control it from phone/tablet or pc. once set up its simple and sounds superb. you will change your mind on dull digital... rip cds and keep them. maybe invest in a streaming service like qoboz or tidal; or even spotify... your good to go and it wont cost that much
    This would definitely be the route I would suggest as I have heard it and to be honest you will surprised how much better it can sound rather than CD into a DAC.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Gary.

Divorce quickly!

But seriously a couple of questions:

Do you have wifi.

Is the objection to speakers size or where they are.

I don't think the option of ceiling speakers will (within your budget) give you the what you're looking for. May suit your husband though.

The simplest solution is a CCA, CromeCastAudio connected via broadband, connected to your amp, music streamed from One of the streaming services, can be controlled by phone or pad.

Keep your CD's they will be able to be streamed to you.

Easy

Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by littlest hobo View Post
    I’ve been happily playing music via CD player or turntable for ever. However, in an attempt to de-clutter our lives we are planning to go digital...with the exception of keeping my turntable and LP’s...okay, part digital. Basically, my floor standing speakers, cd’s, CD player and spare amps are all being evicted. My husband wants minimal kit and ceiling speakers in a vaulted ceiling. His idea is get a Sonus system.
    I’m a digital audio Luddite, but I think this sounds dull and boring, the only Sonus I’ve listened to music through have been bobby basic micro setups and not in the same league as my mediocre leviathan setup. That said I have little idea of reasonable alternatives and I’m running out of time.

My budget is going to be pretty tight, I will buy secondhand where possible. Worst case scenario is, to keep my Rega brio R and turntable, connect up my elderly MacBook - fill it with ripped CD’s, and focus the spend on speakers.

It would be great to hear from you if you have gone down a similar route, what will I need to buy, are ceiling speakers a dead-loss, what to prioritise, mistakes to avoid etc.

Thanks.
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Claire.

Thanks all. I think I understood about one in every five words, but gives me something to research. Tidal is a good idea and would save time on ripping cd’s, the collection can go straight into the loft. The objection to the speaker’s is relative size, positioning, untidy wiring, general ugliness, and use of spikes; they’re four and a half foot tall, black and walnut (maybe) Blueprint from Keswick audio via eBay and several previous owners. Sound pretty good to me, though I will admit visually they don’t blend in very well.

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by littlest hobo View Post

Thanks.
    the rega amp and turntable are spot on.

you can utilise the macbook as you say by ripping all your cd collection onto it....check to see if the mac has an optical out(the headphone socket often doubles as an optical out?

get yourself a dac that takes optical inputs.

you can stream from the mac....spotify premium is very good.

the google chromecast audio is an excellent streaming solution....again it has optical out(adding a dac will really improve the sound quality).

Speaker wise a pair of frugels like Electric beach or Reiver acoustics can be bespokely finished any way you want, to fit in with your decor.....get your husband to have a look at them and have a say in the looks.

+ Reply to Thread