+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electrocompaniet ECI - 2

I'm Howard.

I received this email from Electrocompaniet today, regarding the crossover point from A to AB in the ECI-2

The exact point will vary depending on different factors, but the ECI-2 will work in Class A up to a couple of Watts, an then move to Class AB.

I'm Grant.

as i suspected. still, at least you now know for sure
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

They used to have a dealer network in the UK and a service agent. I am a bit surprised to hear that's not the case anymore, though maybe I shouldn't be. I suspect the dealer model used in the UK caused them issues, as dealers renting the demo stock, rather than buying it outright would be a poor way to create a network of committed dealers, and if none created sales, or few sales, and then returned that rented stock, now much devalued that would be hard to take, with not enough sales (maybe I don't have figures) of product to offset the rental scheme losses. The retail side of the trade left me during that rental scheme period, so I don't know what happened afterwards.

Some of their product is nice, some a bit bland and perhaps over priced. A mixed bag in my view.
    Regards Neil

I'm Howard.

At least they replied to my query, if a bit vaguely and without much detail.

If you search the amp I have, ECI-2, for comments and reviews on the web, you'll see that everyone loves it, it has a cult following, and and at the same time many people agree with Spectral Morn that they're other stuff is a bit bland. I'm no expert, but I do think that the ECI-2 is a bit special, I am very glad to have it even if it is misleadingly branded as Class A.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandryka View Post
    I own a Krell KSA 50, it's being restored right now, I haven't heard it. I wonder how it will sound compared with the Electrocompaniet.

Why did Krell (and others) make such powerful Class A amps if 10W is so loud? Was it just for driving inefficient speakers in big rooms? I mean there's a KSA 200!

And no-one ever says that 10W Class B is loud, that you'll never clip a 10W amp unless you're in a large room! I don't understand what's going on actually.
    Jez posted this on another site, basically Krell fib about the power output of their amps, but in the opposite way to most manufacturers. The KSA 50 is actually a 75W amp, but will do 50w Class A as has been proven by independent measurement.

It’s a bit misleading all this Class A malarkey these days TBH, in the strict sense a true or “pure” Class A amp only has one pair of output transistors per channel, which limits output power available. Most “Class A” amps these days have more than one pair of output transistors- these are paralleled up to give more power, so in the strict sense of the definition are not Class A, but highly biased Class AB. In other words they will give a few watts in A before crossing into AB.

It’s pretty easy to tell how much an amp will do in A, just take a look at the heat sinks and how hot they get. Once you’ve experience of a few Class A amps, it’s pretty easy to estimate the power in A that will be available, just think of the size of the heat sinks on your Krell- 50w in A dissipates A LOT of heat.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

BTW, don’t be fooled by manufacturer’s comments that their preamp or preamp section in an integrated runs in Class A, as if it’s a special thing that makes the amp better- pretty much all run in Class A anyway- it’s the nature of the beast.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post
    Clear as mud Barry, cos electronics wise, I'm as thick as pig shit.
    Glad you posted it though because I've always wondered how it worked technically.
    Someone should make it a sticky!
    Cheers
    Point taken - I did belabour it somewhat.

A simple "no" would have sufficed, but I thought some explanation would be preferred.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123