+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Introduction

I'm Mike.

Default Introduction

Hi all,

Mike here, glad to become part of the community, I have two systems, the first is in the lounge and is also used for AV:

LG 42" Smart TV
    Denon AVR 3805 amp
    B&W ASW600 Sub
    AR Legend TT, Linn Basik LVX arm, Audio Technica AT120 cartridge
    Meridian 506 CD
    Yamaha NS-C90 central speaker
    Monitor Audio R250 speakers

No rear speakers as yet but working on it.

Upstairs I have a dedicated listening room which has:

Linn Sondek LP12, Linn Basik Plus arm, Audio Technica AT120E cartridge
    Meridian 207 CD
    Meridian 203 DAC
    Meridian 562 Controller
    Meridian 518 Digital Signal Processor
    Musical Fidelity FX2 Power Amp
    B&W 600 Series 2 speakers
    Rega Research Fono Stage

As you can tell I like British Hi-Fi gear and Meridian in particular.

Thanks

I'm Martin.

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

That's a lot of Meridian but what's wrong with their power amps?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

That's a lot of Meridian but what's wrong with their power amps?
    Hi Macca, nothing wrong with Meridian power amps I just don't have enough organs to sell to afford them.

I'm Adrian.

HI Mike

Some nice gear there, I used to have a similar set up and then went back to vinyl and headed off to valve amps. I sued to have a 557 amp, week worth finding one.

As a heads up in case you don't know. You might want to hunt down a replacement CD tray/laser mechanism for your 506. I believe both the 506 and 508 used the same Philips mechanism or similar. Mine started miss-tracking a few years ago, I found a chap who took it apart, a known issue is that the grease they used from new can go hard and then cause issues, he cleaned it all and re-greased and it was fine. In the worse case damage to the plastic cog track can occur. I got a spare replacement Philips mechanism just in case, these are hard to come by, and I still have the 508 which is great.

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    HI Mike

Some nice gear there, I used to have a similar set up and then went back to vinyl and headed off to valve amps. I sued to have a 557 amp, week worth finding one.

As a heads up in case you don't know. You might want to hunt down a replacement CD tray/laser mechanism for your 506. I believe both the 506 and 508 used the same Philips mechanism or similar. Mine started miss-tracking a few years ago, I found a chap who took it apart, a known issue is that the grease they used from new can go hard and then cause issues, he cleaned it all and re-greased and it was fine. In the worse case damage to the plastic cog track can occur. I got a spare replacement Philips mechanism just in case, these are hard to come by, and I still have the 508 which is great.

Cheers

Adrian
    HI Adrain,

Thanks for the information regarding the 506, well worth knowing. I'll keep an eye out for a Meridian 557 amp, it certainly looks to be an excellent upgrade from the FX2.

Mike

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Mike. Welcome to AOS.

You have a decent selection of gear there. I'm quite fond of Meridian gear myself (use a 507).

Feel free to join in the fun and chat with everybody.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I've been really happy with my setups over the last few years but I've a feeling joining this group is going to cost me money as I start to get the upgrade itch again.

+ Reply to Thread