+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New set up annoying buzz / hum I can't get to the bottom of......

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Russell.

Default New set up annoying buzz / hum I can't get to the bottom of......

I've just set up a new system using pre-loved items mostly procured from this parish - WLM La Scala Speakers, Croft 5c Power & Gate Pre Amps.

No matter what I do, I cannot stop background hum, or buzz through the speakers when there's no source playing which I can't help thinking isn't right?

I've tried different cables (speaker, interconnect & power), different wall sockets & although I can find some improvements depending on combinations, the hum is still audible with no source (magnified when using the TT input).

I thought it may have been the speakers as they are super efficient at 93db but it also happens when I've used the amps with my Naim Allae's (for sale actually....)

Sometimes the speaker cones actually move in & out if I turn the volume about half way (with no source playing of course) which does worry me if I'm doing damage to them? The hum is still there even with the pre off & just the power is on feeding the speakers as well.

I can live with it as obviously most times when the amp is on there is music playing but would prefer it not be there of course but I also worry if it is damaging the speakers at all?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Weeman1973; 15-03-2019 at 08:43.

+ Reply to Thread