+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Communications Fair

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I went as well and had a great day - I didn't even buy too much!

However, I have spent a worrying amount of time since looking at Decca Decolas on t'internet after hearing the one that the BVWS were playing - that was amazing!

Deep pockets are required unless you get lucky
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    Deep pockets are required

same with anything these days..The best kept secrets are the best bargins

I'm Rockabilly.

The Decola was beautiful.
    Adam - did you hear the HMV 800? It was the size of a piano. They were made in the mid-thirties.
    It sounded fabulous playing blues on shellac at 78rpm.
    It moves the cone with about 5-6 watts and it filled the hall. I think that there are about 10 left existing. Listening to it was worth the 300 mile round trip alone.
    Last edited by camtwister; 13-05-2010 at 18:25. Reason: spellin'!
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm steve.

It was a good day... those vintage decola's etc where really nice to see.. i did not get chance to hear them as was on the stall most of the day

there was an 1930's rgd which i would have loved to have heard.. mostly because i have what looks like the same chassis in the garage, one day i may be brave enough to get it going..

a chap picked up a 2P valve for next to nothing... dont know how i missed that..
    i sold two decks and brought another 2 home.. one was a lenco 78/s. it the first time i had seen the S shaped arm, i will have to give it a wurl, i heard very good reports about them.. its a straight fit into the standard lenco by the look of things and has the sme headshell fitting...

i have 1,000s of the valves in the photos.. if i could get £2 each for them i would be very happy.. a pal had 4 used kt66's on at £50 each, another guy had gz34's for £55..
    i know all the kt's went... there are valves and there are valves people want.. i saw no px 25's or px4 for sale...

cheers
    steve
    Last edited by SPS; 13-05-2010 at 20:47.
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

I went last year (saw this thread too late!) and there was plenty to be had non-ultra vintage.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by camtwister View Post
    The Decola was beautiful.
    Adam - did you hear the HMV 800? It was the size of a piano. They were made in the mid-thirties.
    It sounded fabulous playing blues on shellac at 78rpm.
    It moves the cone with about 5-6 watts and it filled the hall. I think that there are about 10 left existing. Listening to it was worth the 300 mile round trip alone.
    Yes, I think I heard most of them, apart from the one whose Garrard RC1 changer refused to work - I should have offered my repair services!

Still think the Decca was the best, though...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12