+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Portable Digital Players

I'm Bob.

Default Portable Digital Players

I'm looking for a new DAP to replace my AK 70. Contenders are:-

• Astell & Kern A&Ultima SP1000M

• Astell & Kern A&futura SE100

• SONY WM1A

The SP1000M seems to do most of what the flagship SP1000 does for a whole lot less in terms of cash and the 1000 is due to be replaced soon anyway. The SE100 at £500 less has the benefit of a 5" screen but does it compete sound wise with the 1000M?

And finally the Sony looks attractive because of a better user interface (the AK 70 is pretty dire) but has it been left behind the AK offerings soundwise? I don't need the player to be particularly small or lightweight (no commuting involved) and I don't need internet connectivity for streaming services. I just want the best music player I can find.

Anyone own or have a view on those listed?
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Grant.

Was studying Dap's a while ago when considering one. Found them to be overpriced for what they do considering a decent mobile phone and a sd card plus qoboz or tidal and your getting there for a fraction of cost.
    That was my take
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Motorola X Play smartphone, cheap and better than the Fiio X3 and iPad Pro I have.

It's designed to be better for gaming and music and can be picked up very cheaply second hand, I have a 128gb card installed and battery life trounces most daps, can listen most of the day and hardly uses any battery, most daps you're lucky to get a day out of them.

Plus it gives you access to all the streaming services available on Android

Oh, and you can use it as a phone as well

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Motorola X Play smartphone, cheap and better than the Fiio X3 and iPad Pro I have.

It's designed to be better for gaming and music and can be picked up very cheaply second hand, I have a 128gb card installed and battery life trounces most daps, can listen most of the day and hardly uses any battery, most daps you're lucky to get a day out of them.

Plus it gives you access to all the streaming services available on Android

Oh, and you can use it as a phone as well
    using a sony experia xz1 now and for money new it is fantastic value. sony do audio very well. you also get hd bluetooth which is very decent.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    using a sony experia xz1 now and for money new it is fantastic value. sony do audio very well. you also get hd bluetooth which is very decent.
    Yip, IF I was looking to buy anything for portable music it would probably be a Sony, good audio quality but usually great batteries too.

+ Reply to Thread