+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Portable Digital Players

I'm Bob.

Default Portable Digital Players

I'm looking for a new DAP to replace my AK 70. Contenders are:-

• Astell & Kern A&Ultima SP1000M

• Astell & Kern A&futura SE100

• SONY WM1A

The SP1000M seems to do most of what the flagship SP1000 does for a whole lot less in terms of cash and the 1000 is due to be replaced soon anyway. The SE100 at 500 less has the benefit of a 5" screen but does it compete sound wise with the 1000M?

And finally the Sony looks attractive because of a better user interface (the AK 70 is pretty dire) but has it been left behind the AK offerings soundwise? I don't need the player to be particularly small or lightweight (no commuting involved) and I don't need internet connectivity for streaming services. I just want the best music player I can find.

Anyone own or have a view on those listed?
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / SAE 1000LT (again) / AT33 PTG II
    Source: AKAI GX-635D - Seriously Serviced by VintageTech
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Grant.

Was studying Dap's a while ago when considering one. Found them to be overpriced for what they do considering a decent mobile phone and a sd card plus qoboz or tidal and your getting there for a fraction of cost.
    That was my take
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Motorola X Play smartphone, cheap and better than the Fiio X3 and iPad Pro I have.

It's designed to be better for gaming and music and can be picked up very cheaply second hand, I have a 128gb card installed and battery life trounces most daps, can listen most of the day and hardly uses any battery, most daps you're lucky to get a day out of them.

Plus it gives you access to all the streaming services available on Android

Oh, and you can use it as a phone as well

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Motorola X Play smartphone, cheap and better than the Fiio X3 and iPad Pro I have.

It's designed to be better for gaming and music and can be picked up very cheaply second hand, I have a 128gb card installed and battery life trounces most daps, can listen most of the day and hardly uses any battery, most daps you're lucky to get a day out of them.

Plus it gives you access to all the streaming services available on Android

Oh, and you can use it as a phone as well
    using a sony experia xz1 now and for money new it is fantastic value. sony do audio very well. you also get hd bluetooth which is very decent.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    using a sony experia xz1 now and for money new it is fantastic value. sony do audio very well. you also get hd bluetooth which is very decent.
    Yip, IF I was looking to buy anything for portable music it would probably be a Sony, good audio quality but usually great batteries too.

+ Reply to Thread