+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi from Romford

I'm Edward.

David

Fascinating! Pity the Radio Museum are being so difficult to take something that is so evidently part of their mandate. Perhaps try the Institution of Engineering and Technology?

The father of a close friend started his radio/tv engineering career at Marconi a few years before WW2 and I'm sure he cut his teeth on Sterling equipment.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Pity the Radio Museum are being so difficult to take something that is so evidently part of their mandate.
    To be fair if I had the time to go through and learn the lengthy, complicated process of adding bits I would be able to get a bit more adept, even start to sail through adding stuff. I just can't get over the first ten mins of trying hard to contribute. I get fed up.

Hi to all in Romford.

I'm Edward.

By the way does the receiver still work?

As a child I mucked around with crystal sets - lovely fun.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm David.

Yup - works fine

I like the early stuff - really simple circuits. I am not so good on complicated stuff

In vintage wireless from the 20's the only thing to go wrong are the valves, the intervalve transformers, resistors going OC or way out of spec, or bits of wire coming loose or joints getting crudy.

I keep a few spare valves and transformers and the old resistors can be re-stuffed.

There are only a few bits so not a prob narrowing down the problem.

Once you get used to setting up three different voltages - LT, HT and the grid bias you are usually away.

If I get lost I ask a mate!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by unrealdave View Post
    Hi Guys

I have included a pic of my earliest music player - see if you can date it?

Mono only
    Hello Dave

Welcome, Love the look and fact you've saved such an early receiver, it looks great. What does it sound like and do you use it much?

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm David.

Hi – No I don’t use it much - I only use these type of sets occasionally. When I do I rarely use the early pip top valves as the have a short life and are difficult to replace. I tend to put 2 volt valves such as PM2 etc in as these are much more robust.

The set I use on a regular basis is the Ultra 22 from 1923 – see the picture I have put up. This sounds great and is AC mains so no messing around with various voltages. Also has a good early moving coil loudspeaker.
    It is not HiFi but produces a sound that is well suited to early Jazz etc.

If I use a horn speaker there is limited bass but these were the first loud speaker that could include a room full of listeners. The first real mass produced speaker was the type G Bell used in his telephone handset in the 1800’s. Someone had the bright idea to put a horn on the end of the handset and the horn loudspeaker took off.

They soon realized they could move more air with a cone so attached a ‘reed’ to the coil at one end and the other to a paper cone. I have a few examples of these.

I also have some very early moving coil speakers that use an electromagnet (a field coil) as permanent magnets were not very strong back then.

I have also put some pictures up of some of the sets I had in Havering Museum. Mods - if they do not belong here please delete.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Adrian.

Very interesting Dave, and a great hobby. I used to use my parent 50's PYE valve radio in my bedroom to listen to Luxenbourg and Caroline as it picked them up better if I got the wire aerial right. I also used to record the Top 20 each week using a Grundig R to R as I was limited on pocket money to buy singles and used to save up for LP's. The PYE always had a nice tone to it.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

Hello David. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here.

Feel free to join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12