+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Romford

I'm David.

Default Hi from Romford

Hi Guys

Just joined as I found this forum when searching for info on the ditton 66 speakers.

I am a big fan of celestion and have A3's as my main speakers (L & R) but have some older speakers including a set of 66's.

I understand they would benefit from recapping?

My equipment is mainly Arcam but I have a pair of Quad II's that I use with the 66's and occasionally my monitor golds (10").

My deck is a TT2 and CD is through an Arcam CD37.

My music taste is varied and I enjoy my 70's stuff - Floyd, stones etc but also like early stuff from the twenties right up to post war. I tend to play this stuff on old valve radios which I collect. (I have about 180 sets).

I have a LPAM transmitter and my neighbours like this stuff as well!!

I have included a pic of my earliest music player - see if you can date it?

Mono only
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm brian.

Hi David, As Noel Keywood once said about somebody who had 24 sets of speakers where do you keep them all (the valve radios ) ?
    You must play the music loud if next door s enjoying it . 1930 s Marconi ( no idea ). Enjoy

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    Hi David, As Noel Keywood once said about somebody who had 24 sets of speakers where do you keep them all (the valve radios ) ?
    Ask Mrs Unreal about the spare rooms!

You must play the music loud if next door s enjoying it
    Not loud - LPAM is a low power AM transmitter - they pick it up on their radio's

1930 s Marconi ( no idea ). Enjoy
    Nope

I'm brian.

Whatever it is it looks great. The braintrusts will be along in a jiffy with some idea !. Briefly heard the 44 s few weeks ago, so can imagine how good the 44 s are.

I'm brian.

or even the 66 s

I'm Grant.

sterling telephone and electric company were taken over in 34 by gec, so before that i guess. lovely faceplate. probably post ww1

welcome to the site
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Looks like a 3 valve receiver based on the following.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sterli...ype_r1589.html

Highly recommend that you send some pictures and whatever other information you may have to the Radio Museum.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    sterling telephone and electric company were taken over in 34 by gec, so before that i guess.
    Before that they were taken over by Marconiphone. Marconi never really took the home market seriously (bit like IBM and home computers) as they were involved with the big boys stuff. When Marconi decided to put a toe in the water of home wireless they farmed the work out. They used Sterling (and used some of their technology even using the same plug in feed back coil) and Plessey. They made the V1, V2, V3, V4 and the two crystal sets. (guess how many valves are in each of the V series Marconiphone sets?).

Plessey didn't exist before some executives chatting on a train decided to set up a company to get a share of the Marconiphone pie. They bought a factory once they had a contract. Marconi bought Sterling after a couple of years (IBM just wish they could have bought Microsoft and Intel when the realised the home market was lucrative!). They messed it up though and ended up selling the Sterling company and the Marconiphone name to GEC.

Once Marconi bought Sterling they stopped farming work out to Plessey, so Plessey had a wobble but survived. Marconi couldn't run the Marconiphone subsidiary and made a right pigs ear. (Mass production was H Fords specialty and Marconiphone never got the hang of it!). They sold to GEC and after they took over a GEC executive said - we've been sold a wrong un - or some such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    probably post ww1
    WW1 was really the making of wireless. The 'R' valve came into its own but mainly spark gap transmitters and crystal receivers. (see the pic of a WW1 aircraft spark transmitter - displayed between a couple of REALLY early loud speakers).

Lots of guys after the war went home and carried on 'messing about' with ex military stuff. Home wireless proper in the UK came about in 1922 mainly with the BBC starting up.

For an interesting read on WW1 and wireless google Capt. H. Round and the Battle of Jutland, then the valves he developed and much more. Defo one of my all time good guys.

This is the RM entry on the Anodion 3

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sterli...ype_r1591.html

As for sending stuff to the RM - I have tried and it is a nightmare. Much of my stuff goes in Havering museum for the occasional exhibition but I get fed up spending hours trying to navigate the RM system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Grant.

Didn't know about Marconi link, but not surprising.
    Great that folk keep these pieces alive.. Well done
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm sorted.

Hello fellow Romfordian!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast