+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toslink splitter advice

I'm Chris.

Default Toslink splitter advice

Hi guys,

I'm running my streaming device into a digital EQ before my DAC due to my room requiring the bass response to be tweaked. However there is only one output (Toslink) from my digital EQ. I would like to run two DAC's from it so I am looking into getting a Toslink splitter.

It's a powered one (below) and most users say there is no audible degradation in the sound quality, however I suspect most of them are not using it in a hi-fi capacity as such.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...18ZCU603&psc=1

My question is am I running the digital signal through too many stages already?

In my mind because it is a digital (optical) signal as long as the connectors are decent and the cables are all 1m and not bent at any significant angles, it should not have audible degradation?

I'm sure there will maybe be tiny measurable loss but just wondered if anyone can offer some advice in regards to if its worth doing or will the signal be noticeably worse for going through the splitter and an extra cable?

Cheers guys,

Chris

I'm Neal.

Who can say...it seems to be an active device IE not a passive splitter so it may well be OK. On the other hand it could add a significant amount of Jitter. Only one way to find out!
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Chris.

Thats what I'm hoping (that it will be okay).

Definitely a suck it and see experiment anyway. Its from Amazon so I have no issues sending it back (as I spend a ton of money with them!).

I'm Leo.

I can confirm that this is a very good device for splitting spdif:
    https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...nanodigi-2x8-b

+ Reply to Thread