+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Facts and realities?

I'm Chris.

Default Beginning with the tenants

Just as Genesis "Get em out by Friday" predicted, we can fit twice as many in the same building site.. they say its all right.

The quoted text is a ploy to reduce further the capability of a already compromised medium. https://earthworksaudio.com/wp-conte...yond-20kHz.pdf
    with singular aim of money making.

Now how about instead extending the frequency response of CD to 48khz with sampling then at 100khz allowing a more gradual filter. I would be happy buying CD's with this added capability.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Probably but that was the title of the file.
    Nothing probable about it, this is the second sentence:

"The Human ear does not hear from the 20 Hz to the 20 KHz range." (My emphasis)
    Barry

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Nothing probable about it, this is the second sentence:

"The Human ear does not hear from the 20 Hz to the 20 KHz range." (My emphasis)
    Lol, ah yes. You're right!

Surely there should be a "only" in there?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Lol, ah yes. You're right!

Surely there should be a "only" in there?
    Yes that would make more sense; though beyond those frequencies, humans tend to perceive the 'sounds' rather than hear them. Infra bass is felt, whereas ultrasonic sounds can be perceived, by some people, directly through the scull.
    Barry

I'm Chris.

I have a love/hate relationship with scientific "facts".

We use facts indefinitely to build systems based on scientific theory. They help us understand how sound travels from recording format via source and through various amplification stages into your speakers/headphones.

However these "facts" don't really explain the effects these frequencies, that apparently cannot be heard, have on your brain. You certainly do not have to "hear" the frequencies for them to have an effect on your "hearing/portrayal" (and therefore your appreciation) of the music.

As others have eluded to sub bass frequencies are felt and ultrasonic ones perceived (they can also break glass etc). Also consider the effects these frequencies have on the rest of the recording.

We may not hear them but they may have some effect on other notes that were being recorded at the same time. I'm speculating in this previous sentence but having mixed digital music in the past I can tell you that sometimes removing what technically a human ear cannot detect in a recording, can effect that recording in both positive and negative ways.

I've also attempted to "clean up" ambient, live recordings and sometimes the silence (which often has detectable noise well above 15k) when removed, again, removes something more from the recording.

Plus think how devastated our K9 friends would be if we started cutting off the extra frequencies in our favorite albums, they expect to hear them!!

As with a lot of these topics its likely very subjective but I think this is an interesting discussion.

Cheers

Chris

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Infra bass is felt, whereas ultrasonic sounds can be perceived, by some people, directly through the scull.
    Exactly Barry, spot on.

I'm Adrian.

Ah, not my comments mate. This was in a "Read me" file on some music files I was given. Just shared it here to see what people thought.

And yes, I notice as soon as I turn the Super tweeters off
    Yes you noticed that you switched them off, but did you determine what frequencies were coming from them that you then noticed were not there after turning them off?
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Tony.

Morning Oli

What are your thoughts on this?
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Russell.

I have read many times that higher sampling rates only increase the highest frequency. But that is simply not true. It is true that the Nyquest rate, or whatever it is, says that the highest recordable frequency is half of the sampling frequency, this much is true. But that is not the Only thing it does. Lower frequencies are also sliced into finer samples, increasing accuracy. Just because there’s a beautiful smooth sine wave coming out, doesn’t mean it’s a perfect copy of the original. The same for bit rates, each sample has a numeric representation, a number between the lowest, and highest number possible, so the more numbers, the more accurate that sample will be.

And I hear these things from designers and engineers! If they don’t have a real grasp of what is going on, does that get in the way of the success of their designs? I guess anyone can get lucky now and then?

And I also agree that a good recording versus a bad recording makes one hell of a lot more difference than any of it. A poor recording sounds bad, no matter what you do, the better the equipment, the worse it sounds.

Russell

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    I have a love/hate relationship with scientific "facts".

We use facts indefinitely to build systems based on scientific theory. They help us understand how sound travels from recording format via source and through various amplification stages into your speakers/headphones.

However these "facts" don't really explain the effects these frequencies, that apparently cannot be heard, have on your brain. You certainly do not have to "hear" the frequencies for them to have an effect on your "hearing/portrayal" (and therefore your appreciation) of the music.

As others have eluded to sub bass frequencies are felt and ultrasonic ones perceived (they can also break glass etc). Also consider the effects these frequencies have on the rest of the recording.

We may not hear them but they may have some effect on other notes that were being recorded at the same time. I'm speculating in this previous sentence but having mixed digital music in the past I can tell you that sometimes removing what technically a human ear cannot detect in a recording, can effect that recording in both positive and negative ways.

I've also attempted to "clean up" ambient, live recordings and sometimes the silence (which often has detectable noise well above 15k) when removed, again, removes something more from the recording.

Plus think how devastated our K9 friends would be if we started cutting off the extra frequencies in our favorite albums, they expect to hear them!!
    Excellent post, Chris. I concur completely, especially with the bit in bold! And that's why in audio, forming opinions based on said 'facts' will only ever take you so far, certainly in terms of understanding how we as humans 'hear' music.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast