+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Facts and realities?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    So what you are telling me is my system is imperfect in essence, without having heard it
    Since no system is perfect (and never will be), it follows that all systems are to a greater or lesser extent imperfect - yours, mine and Marco's.
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    So what you are telling me is my system is imperfect in essence, without having heard it

Since no system is perfect (and never will be), it follows that all systems are to a greater or lesser extent imperfect - yours, mine and Marco's.
    No Barry, I think you have it all wrong, my system is in fact basically perfect because I listen to it and it is music to my ears, so as your system and Marco's are not the same then by definition they must be imperfect.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yesh, shweety, the same as I can state with relative certainty that your cock isn't 12" long, despite not having seen it!

Marco.
    That depends on the time of day and temperature.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

No Barry, I think you have it all wrong, my system is in fact basically perfect because I listen to it and it is music to my ears, so as your system and Marco's are not the same then by definition they must be imperfect.
    By that logic, and using your criteria, Marco and I have perfect systems as well.
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Barry Quote
    By that logic, and using your criteria, Marco and I have perfect systems as well.
    Are but only if you have perfect ears like mine, and therefore as no one is the same yours cannot be perfect.

How do you know we don't have perfect hearing? I'm perfect in every way!

"Sophistry, sophistry - all is sophistry."
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

How do you know we don't have perfect hearing? I'm perfect in every way!

"Sophistry, sophistry - all is sophistry."
    That is the point, what may sound perfect to you may not sound perfect to me or Marco or anyone else for that matter, so either all our systems are perfect to us as individuals or they are imperfect as no one can have perfect hearing (or so I believe).

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Timing is everything and the reconstruction of the original digital recording can so easily be compromised, especially by CD players unless huge effort and expense has been taken to resolve the issues. A spinning disc read by a laser at 500 mph with small scratches and imperfections is not best way to extract digital audio!
    Actually the beauty of doing things digitally is that it doesn't matter. You can check your work beforehand to ensure that what is output is correct. Yes if the disc is damaged past a certain point it won't play or will drop out. The trick there is not to damage your discs. Not hard, we manage to do it with vinyl which is far more fragile.

I don't understand why you think reading the file from a hard drive as opposed to a disc makes any difference at all. Hard drives spin pretty fast. Unless it is a solid state job. And why does the fact that it is spinning matter? If you can provide some back up to these assertions I'm happy to take it on board.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

[QUOTE=Light Dependant Resistor;1070609]
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

David Blackmers findings are backed by Malcolm Hawksford 6 mins into the video, namely calling for 96Khz sampling and as a result 45khz frequency response.
    Likewise this paper identifies muted trumpet harmonics extending well beyond 20Khz

Thankfully recording engineers usually preserves frequencies above 20khz, it is just sad our replay equipment does not presently properly reproduce what was recorded.
    some instruments have harmonics out to 100Khz. This doesn't matter because we can't hear them! 22Khz is the upper limit even best case for a child. Once your past thirty 15Khz max is good going. That is the same whether you are listening to a recording of the trumpet or the trumpet-player is standing in your living room. All the things we like about the sound of instruments happens within our range of hearing. And as I said before, 99% of recordings, and all the great recordings, do not contain any frequencies above about 20Khz to begin with because the mics could not capture them.

So not only are we physically incapable of hearing it, it is not there to be heard in the first place.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast