+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Facts and realities?

I'm James.

I was refering to Martins Post concerning Jitter.

"Jitter was a solved problem before CD even came out. I've got vintage players here that will demonstrate that on a practical level. (Marantz CD54 from 1984, Technics SLP1200 from 1989).

The SQ issues people experience with CD have nothing to do with jitter."

As you said in a previous post you don't often know you have "glare" in digital audio until it is gone and there are many ways of reducing jitter or poor clock timing. Every aspect of the digital chain from start to finished needs to be optimised in order to get a really good result including PSUs, cables,software, hardware, system set up etc etc....
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes I fully agree - and experience bears it out

Btw, in future it's always best to quote *exactly* what you're referring to, as otherwise it can be unclear. In this instance, your post in question appeared directly under mine, so I thought you were refuting what I had written.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes I fully agree - and experience bears it out

Btw, in future it's always best to quote *exactly* what you're referring to, as otherwise it can be unclear. In this instance, your post in question appeared directly under mine, so I thought you were refuting what I had written.

Marco.
    Sorry, will do.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Gary.

Someone who knows digital discussing Jitter.

Last edited by Gazjam; 17-03-2019 at 15:06.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Neal.

Seen those videos before, still love the ‘foot tapping.....touchy-feely crap’ comment. His description of how jitter may be perceived mirrors my own experience of improving the master clock in DACs and players. Most recently with the Kali reclocker on the RPi where it’s not just the improvement in detail retrevial but also in the foot tapping enjoyment stakes.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Gary.

Yup.
    all about....

timing.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I would certainly take his advice than yours Martin. With respect I don't think you are technically knowledgeable enough concerning digital audio to be a useful guide as to what is right or wrong in digital audio.

You may have opinions but I feel that is all they are.
    The technical part is done by other people. I simply relate their findings. And then there is also my own subjective experience, which tends to correlate with what the research says, at least broadly speaking. Subjectively I found that as I improved my amplification the problems I had with digital, and which many believe to be inherent to digital, went away. Even with budget players and players from the mid/late 1980s that were supposedly full of jitter, could strip paint, etc etc.

I do agree that it makes sense to optimise every facet of the digital playback system, it's unlikely to hurt and may have a cumulative effect. But IME it makes a lot more sense to optimise the amplification first.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Jitter DOES matter though Martin, technically which can be heard subjectively.

BUT...
    Not everyone is bothered by it of course, or can hear it as the first video above says.
    If it’s not hurtin’ in a particular system or set of ears, I’d forget it and just enjoy the music.

No point looking for problems, and as you say maybe in a particular system more benefit could be found upgrading elsewhere.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Jitter DOES matter though Martin, technically which can be heard subjectively.
    It matters if there is enough of it to be audible I agree. The question should be does any DAC or CD player have enough of it to be audible? If you look on ASR site they have tested about 60 DACs and even the worst performing ones do not have jitter any where near audible levels.

Take a look at the research I linked to earlier where they tested the audibility of jitter. It's funny that even though I link to this stuff people think I am making it up myself. There's a whole world of research on this stuff out there, it's not some big mystery. These questions were asked and properly answered some time ago. Oh well.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Take a look at the research I linked to earlier where they tested the audibility of jitter. It's funny that even though I link to this stuff people think I am making it up myself. There's a whole world of research on this stuff out there, it's not some big mystery. These questions were asked and properly answered some time ago. Oh well.
    Yes, but if you've carried out your own experiments and research into the matter, and what you've heard/discovered in that respect flies in the face of the technical research you've linked to, why should we change our (well deserved) contrary opinion?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you've carried out any clock upgrades to DACs you've owned, which addresses the issue of jitter, and thus have heard the 'before and after' effect? If you had done, your views on the subject might be different.

As I've said many times before, *ultimately* (that means once MY judgement criteria has been satisfied), I'll always trust my own ears, over ANY amount of technical research conducted by others, and this area of audio is but another valid example of such. I never form conclusive opinions on any subject, audio or otherwise, simply as a result of having read something somewhere.

Just because a so-called expert has supposedly created a 'fact', in reference to digital audio, doesn't automatically make it so... Therefore, always be prepared to apply some lateral thinking and have faith in your OWN judgement, regardless of what any 'experts' say.

Personal, practical experience is always what counts most!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast