+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 201

Thread: Digital Facts and realities?

  1. #41
    Join Date: Oct 2008

    Location: Glasgowshire

    Posts: 7,095
    I'm availableforweddingsAndBarmitzvas.

    Default

    Just listen for yourself..forget the theory from the Internet

    Sound better to you?
    If it does, it’s better.

    (You won’t get in trouble with the hifi mafia, your good.)
    Last edited by Gazjam; 16-03-2019 at 08:55.
    Have Hifi n stuff.

  2. #42
    Macca's Avatar
    Macca is online now Moderator and lover of technical papers
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 24,412
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    .

    (You won’t get in trouble with the hifi mafia, your good.)
    Although one day - and that day may never come - they might ask you for a favour in return...
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SLP1200 CD Player * Nelson Pass DCB1 Pre amp / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *


    'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

  3. #43
    Join Date: Oct 2008

    Location: Glasgowshire

    Posts: 7,095
    I'm availableforweddingsAndBarmitzvas.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Although one day - and that day may never come - they might ask you for a favour in return...
    True...
    Have Hifi n stuff.

  4. #44
    Join Date: Apr 2008

    Location: Warrington

    Posts: 3,269
    I'm Neil.

    Default Digital Facts and realities?

    Mastering and the actual CD / file rules supreme.

    On a high end system the differences between any compression, and lossless, bit perfect files, is clearly apparent.

    Software volume is almost always the devil, I always notice when it’s on, like last night when my wife was playing some music. Software volume should always be at 100%

    16/44.1 *is* already “high resolution”. Mastering makes it tough to compare files that are also available in 24/96, thus don’t worry about it and just listen to which one you prefer...

    Jitter is more influential than people may realise. You just get more of everything when there is less of it. Async USB can only reduce incoming jitter levels, not eliminate it.

    BNC is a better connection, RCA by design introduces signal reflections & ringing that can alter clock transition points. A real facepalm in design standards.

    Sometimes there is some operating system work required to ensure that audio transmission is bit perfect, and in “exclusive” mode.

    ...that’s the stuff I have found makes a difference.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 16-03-2019 at 13:18.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Custom Silent Media Server >> Halide Bridge USB (with AQVOX USB power) >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

  5. #45
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 4,438
    I'm James.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Mastering and the actual CD / file rules supreme.

    On a high end system the differences between any compression, and lossless, bit perfect files, is clearly apparent.

    Software volume is almost always the devil, I always notice when it’s on, like last night when my wife was playing some music. Software volume should always be at 100%

    16/44.1 *is* already “high resolution”. Mastering makes it tough to compare files that are also available in 24/96, thus don’t worry about it and just listen to which one you prefer...

    Jitter is more influential than people may realise. You just get more of everything when there is less of it. Async USB can only reduce incoming jitter levels, not eliminate it.

    BNC is a better connection, RCA by design introduces signal reflections & ringing that can alter clock transition points. A real facepalm in design standards.

    Sometimes there is some operating system work required to ensure that audio transmission is bit perfect, and in “exclusive” mode.

    ...that’s the stuff I have found makes a difference.
    I would say the are all facts and realities.
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

  6. #46
    Macca's Avatar
    Macca is online now Moderator and lover of technical papers
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 24,412
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Not so sure about jitter. Jitter sounds like tape wow and flutter. We've all owned or heard a cheap cassette deck (except maybe the youngsters) so we all know what that sounds like. The wobble on sustained notes. Who's ever heard a digital source sound like that? (unless it's actually on the recording like on the Boston album 'Third Stage' for example).


    Even that cheapo DVD player you found in a skip has better jitter performance than any RTR deck or turntable by quite a large margin. There needs to be a lot of jitter before it is possible to hear it. http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/up..._on_Jitter.pdf
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SLP1200 CD Player * Nelson Pass DCB1 Pre amp / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *


    'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

  7. #47
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 53,122
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    if you look for issues with audio, you will find them.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - XS VALVE DAC - AVANTREE OASIS PLUS + LEAF HD BLUETOOTHS - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR +NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI 3 DIGIONE/VOLUMIO - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN MAIN SPKRS/Q ACOUSTIC BT3 ACTIVES & CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

    **Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**

  8. #48
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 39,355
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    if you look for issues with audio, you will find them.
    Bit like women really.
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

  9. #49
    Join Date: Apr 2008

    Location: Warrington

    Posts: 3,269
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Bit like women really.
    Women hate wires.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Custom Silent Media Server >> Halide Bridge USB (with AQVOX USB power) >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

  10. #50
    Join Date: Feb 2008

    Location: Down South

    Posts: 2,324
    I'm Neal.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not so sure about jitter. Jitter sounds like tape wow and flutter. We've all owned or heard a cheap cassette deck (except maybe the youngsters) so we all know what that sounds like. The wobble on sustained notes. Who's ever heard a digital source sound like that? (unless it's actually on the recording like on the Boston album 'Third Stage' for example).


    Even that cheapo DVD player you found in a skip has better jitter performance than any RTR deck or turntable by quite a large margin. There needs to be a lot of jitter before it is possible to hear it. http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/up..._on_Jitter.pdf
    ? What jitter are you talking about?
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

    Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •