+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Facts and realities?

I'm Martin.

Yeah there's no real answer to that is there? I'm surprised anyone still clings to the belief that frequencies we can't hear matter. The evidence and indeed the logic are pretty overwhelming.

It's a shame we can't bring Miles Davis et al back to life so they could re-record 'Kind Of Blue' with mics that can capture 100Khz then maybe it wouldn't sound so crap and people might start rating it as a good album.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yeah there's no real answer to that is there? I'm surprised anyone still clings to the belief that frequencies we can't hear matter.
    They do at the recording stage. Harmonic interplay is part of the structure of music and the supersonic element influences what is heard lower down. Once recorded though, the structure of the music is complete and filtering off above the audio band will affect nothing we hear.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'm surprised anyone still clings to the belief that frequencies we can't hear matter...
    So how do super-tweeters work, then?

In any case, any chance you could answer some of the posts I've directed at you today, all of which so far have been ignored!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    Well as according to Martin there is no musical content above 20khz because mics generally used in recording studios do not go above 20Khz (I would agree unless they are using Bruel & Kear high end mics capable of over 20khz, there are a few other manufacturers) then you must be hearing some form of invented sound from the results of digital mathematical interpolations in the DAC processing.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

In any case, any chance you could answer some of the posts I've directed at you today, all of which so far have been ignored!

Marco.
    If you can set your super tweeters so they only output above, say 20Hz, switch off the main speakers and play some music, you won't hear a thing. In reality super tweeters have output way down into the audible range. That's how they work. It's just adding an extra tweeter to the speaker. There will be some cancellation but on the whole you'll shelve up the whole top end from maybe as low as 5Khz all the way up. So there's more air and space! But no mystery.

What other posts are you talking about?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Dont hear anything from the bapture tweeters.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neal.

Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Timing is everything and the reconstruction of the original digital recording can so easily be compromised, especially by CD players unless huge effort and expense has been taken to resolve the issues. A spinning disc read by a laser at 500 mph with small scratches and imperfections is not best way to extract digital audio!
    Actually the beauty of doing things digitally is that it doesn't matter. You can check your work beforehand to ensure that what is output is correct. Yes if the disc is damaged past a certain point it won't play or will drop out. The trick there is not to damage your discs. Not hard, we manage to do it with vinyl which is far more fragile.

I don't understand why you think reading the file from a hard drive as opposed to a disc makes any difference at all. Hard drives spin pretty fast. Unless it is a solid state job. And why does the fact that it is spinning matter? If you can provide some back up to these assertions I'm happy to take it on board.
    Maybe it’s me but I’m struggling to follow your reasoning. Precise timing in digital circuits is imperative to reliable data transmission and critical in audio circuits especially when converting to digital and back into analogue. It’s also key for reading optical disk as rotation of the disk and synconisation of the read optics is critical, it’s a real time operation we can’t back track and re-read a data block if it was misread or found corrupt. Reading from a HDD is not time critical as we can go back and retry and apply CRC error correction or reallocate a bad block if necessary. Data is buffered in memory and can be clocked out as and when the end device is ready to receive it. The two operations are fundamentally different.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

If you can set your super tweeters so they only output above, say 20Hz, switch off the main speakers and play some music, you won't hear a thing. In reality super tweeters have output way down into the audible range. That's how they work. It's just adding an extra tweeter to the speaker. There will be some cancellation but on the whole you'll shelve up the whole top end from maybe as low as 5Khz all the way up. So there's more air and space! But no mystery.

What other posts are you talking about?
    Scroll back and note the times today I've quoted you and replied, directing some questions, but you've not responded in return... At a guess, without looking, there must be at least four examples of such. Anyway, it's no biggie; I was really just pulling your leg

As for the rest, my point was simply not to underestimate/dismiss out of hand the influence of things that, on the surface, don't appear to matter. It can be a bad mistake to make.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Dont hear anything from the bapture tweeters.
    Well if you're anything like me Grant, you won't hear much above 10kHz.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Maybe it’s me but I’m struggling to follow your reasoning. Precise timing in digital circuits is imperative to reliable data transmission and critical in audio circuits especially when converting to digital and back into analogue. It’s also key for reading optical disk as rotation of the disk and synconisation of the read optics is critical, it’s a real time operation we can’t back track and re-read a data block if it was misread or found corrupt. Reading from a HDD is not time critical as we can go back and retry and apply CRC error correction or reallocate a bad block if necessary. Data is buffered in memory and can be clocked out as and when the end device is ready to receive it. The two operations are fundamentally different.
    I agree. Nevertheless the number of times that a cd drops out or fails to read entirely is so few that it isn't worth worrying about. Otherwise the waveform is reproduced perfectly and as I said previously, and as the AES paper I linked to demonstrates, jitter in a cd player (or a DAC) is not sufficiently high to be audible. The ability to re-read a data block or buffer to reduce timing errors therefore confers no advantage over the disc in terms of sound quality. Although I accept that technically it is a superior way of doing things.

Problems that could theoretically cause poor sound as people describe - harsh, hard, lacking focus and soundstage - like distortion from power supply modulation never seem to get talked about and that could equally be a problem in a server-streamer-DAC set up as in a cd player.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast