+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portishead - Dummy

I'm Rob.

Portishead 'Third' is an amazing album, which just so happens to sound amazing on vinyl too.
    Well Tempered Versalex, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Trilogy 906, MCRU LDA Linear PSU, Naim ND5 XS 2 , Exposure 3010S2D, Roksan TR-5 speakers, Spotfire Interconnects/Spotfire Reference speaker cable

I'm brian.

Slightly off topic, but may be of interest.

My wife’s Dad was an actor and he was asked to audition for a band who wanted a particular look for a CD sleeve.

He got the gig and appeared on “OVER 2 “

This is him, on the front cover

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORTISHEA...kAAOSwaAJciTs0

I think they used the picture on other stuff also

I'm Shaun.

Well I've listened to the album a few times and although it may grow on me, at the moment my thoughts are that it is not for me. Her voice is stunning but instrument wise I found it very disappointing.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Well I've listened to the album a few times and although it may grow on me, at the moment my thoughts are that it is not for me. Her voice is stunning but instrument wise I found it very disappointing.
    I have a copy somewhere - bought simply because I know of Portishead, south of Bristol (where I was born and raised). Have to say I only played it a couple of times before loosing it in the bowels of my CD collection. I'm not that fired up to dig it out and give it another spin.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Not keen at all. Find the music to be 'atmospheric', but also dull and rough at the same time, and too dark and dense for my taste. Sounds like it was produced to sound right on a crappy 90's midi system.

I bought it on CD, thinking I may one day grow into the sound. Also it was 50p.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Shaun.

LOL I think mine cost me a tenner so I definitely got the raw deal. Weeks later and I am still not bowled over by it. I honestly thought with Adrian Utley being such a synth connoisseur there would be a lot more to it than just a load of sampled drum loops. I guess I'll keep it for a day when it suits the mood.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    LOL I think mine cost me a tenner so I definitely got the raw deal. Weeks later and I am still not bowled over by it. I honestly thought with Adrian Utley being such a synth connoisseur there would be a lot more to it than just a load of sampled drum loops. I guess I'll keep it for a day when it suits the mood.

I think reducing the album to "just a load of sampled drum loops" is doing it a bit of an injustice. It's obvious that certain tracks were the result of a straight sample, sour times and glory box for example. But the construction of the majority of the drum beats were the result of recording a live drummer and manipulating it to sound like a sampled beat, it was actually a pretty creative and innovative way of producing the distinctive sound. It was over 25 years ago now, and it's easy to look back at it from this distance through everything made after it and not see the how much work went into it. The non live drums, even though created on a drum machine were also constructed to provide an original stand alone beat/feel. The atmosphere and emotion of the album is as much in how the music was made, as it was in the honesty and fragility of the vocal performance.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12