+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hybrid Digital Integrateds - any good ?

I'm Tony.

Default Hybrid Digital Integrateds - any good ?

Hi all,
    I'm seriously wondering about trying one of these, and I notice there are a few contenders, probably headed by the Nad D 3045, Quad Vena and Audiolab 6000A. These all offer more or less what I'm after connectivity-wise, and all seem around the same power rating. I just wondered if there are any users on any of these out there to share thoughts, experiences etc. I can't really try any so would have to plunge in, and at the moment the Nad tops it because of flexibility (on its side..!) but just weighing up the pros and cons. Any views?

I'm inactive.

I've had the original Quad Vena for about a year and a half now and I've been well pleased with it.
    I originally bought it to replace an Audiolab Q-Dac going to a 'conventional' pre/power set up and get rid of some of the cable spaghetti.
    I've found it to be very versatile and covers most of my needs admirably ... the sound is rich and surprisingly powerful (for an integrated) and the versatility is a bonus. Particularly like the added analogue inputs and also the line-out function that means I can use it with my Quad 405-2 if the fancy takes me ....

Only downsides for me:
    1. No phono stage ... but this is addressed in the new model.
    2. No 'tape output' which is only really a drag if I want to use a different headphone amp.
    3. Analogue inputs are not fed to either of the digital outputs (a bit much to ask for maybe).

I'm Dave.

The new Quad Vena II is excellent and now has a very good phono stage.

I'm Grant.

Yup, got a Vena 2 off Dave and the Phono Stage is excellent for an integrated. Certainly 200+ range, which makes the Vena Package great value
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steven.

I have two integrated units, Audiolab M-One and Devialet 250 Expert Pro CI. Very happy with them both.
    Wilson, Luxman, Innuos, Holo May, Puritan, Garrard

I'm Russell.

Have you seen the Peachtree models? They’re one of the first to combine digital in an integrated. And I think they are rather handsome looking. I don’t have a lot of experience with them, but was at an associate’s house and the few minutes I heard it play I was very impressed with the sound he was getting.

Russell

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Have you seen the Peachtree models? They’re one of the first to combine digital in an integrated. And I think they are rather handsome looking. I don’t have a lot of experience with them, but was at an associate’s house and the few minutes I heard it play I was very impressed with the sound he was getting.
    Russell
    I have a Peachtree Decco2 which I think is excellent, particularly as I picked up a pristine S/H unit for £350! I like the styling, which is similar to the Quad Vena. The onboard DAC, IMO, is particularly good especially USB input which I use with my Raspberry Pi. The slightly weak link is the power amp section, but as there are pre-outs I run it with a separate power amp.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by mr sneff View Post
    I have a Peachtree Decco2 which I think is excellent, particularly as I picked up a pristine S/H unit for £350! I like the styling, which is similar to the Quad Vena. The onboard DAC, IMO, is particularly good especially USB input which I use with my Raspberry Pi. The slightly weak link is the power amp section, but as there are pre-outs I run it with a separate power amp.
    So how many watts does the Decco 2 produce? I recall some of their integrated’s having a lot, I thought there was one that was 200 watts? I’ll have to read up and refresh my memory on that.

But yours sounds like a real kick butt system! Running your Raspberry Pi directly into it, sound very interesting!

I’ve got a Cary CD player, that has a direct input to its internal DAC. I imagine if I knew how, I could run me some Raspberry Pi into it as well? It doesn’t do USB, it would have to be SpDIF I suppose? If I hook my iPad into it, would that be Apple Pi?

Russell

+ Reply to Thread