+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FR-64S on SL-1200

I'm Hugo.

Default FR-64S on SL-1200

A bit of fun here today swapping tonearms on the Technics SL-1200GR. This time, a Fidelity Research FR-64S, here in one of my Ammonite Audio machined modular Technics SL-1200 armboards. The arm is sporting an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B in a Timestep ebony headshell. The FR-64S has classic Japanese heavyweight build and still delights. I shall listen to some SPUs later!

The FR-64S is just about the longest tonearm that will fit properly on a Technics SL-1200

montesquieu Guest

Great minds Hugo .. I stuck on an FR64S last night. This is my old one from years ago that has made its way back to me after me originally swapping it for a 12in SME.

How's it with the Kontrapunkt? I've always found it more forgiving of more compliant cartridges than the effective mass calculations might suggest.

I can imagine that it's quite a winner on that Technics deck. Pretty cool you have an armboard that fits.

I'm Hugo.

The Kontrapunkt B is one of those cartridges whose compliance specs suggest it should not really work in a heavyweight arm like the FR-64S, or my Glanz, but it does work, and the measured fundamental resonance (using Analog Magik) is actually around 9 Hz, so OK. The Kontrapunkt is the very epitome of a modern clean sounding MC cartridge with a somewhat 'etched' top end, but that's tamed beautifully by adding 1.5uF input capacitance on the Miyajima ETR-STEREO SUT. It's very engaging, but does not quite tug at my musical heart strings like an SPU, or a Miyajima.

The armboard is actually one with a blank centre plate and I had the mounting hole cut specially for the FR-64S, which does fit with the lid closed. A typical 10" arm wouldn't fit.

I'm Mike.

Snap ! ( Almost )

Black FX (s) version normally with Kontrapunkt B and Orsonic headshell, but I was road testing an ADC MKIII

Last edited by mikeyb; 10-03-2019 at 18:33.

I'm Lee.

The FR64s is an arm I’ve always fancied trying out they have an awesome reputation that’s for sure
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Lee.

A small follow up to my last post, I managed to buy one of the from Tom on here, picked it up the weekend and got it up and running on sunday, all I can say is WOW, these are incredible arms, absolutely slaughtered my Jelco 750, the bass and dynamics is on another level

I may get another one when funds permit or possibly an Ikeda arm, need to save up for that one though
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post
    A small follow up to my last post, I managed to buy one of the from Tom on here, picked it up the weekend and got it up and running on sunday, all I can say is WOW, these are incredible arms, absolutely slaughtered my Jelco 750, the bass and dynamics is on another level

I may get another one when funds permit or possibly an Ikeda arm, need to save up for that one though
    Glad it's doing the business

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Glad it's doing the business
    As is mine, presently sporting the Miyajima Saboten L stereo cartridge, which together sound utterly sublime. The Glanz MH-94S is definitely a better sounding arm than the old FR-64S, but the FR is still way better than most modern arms, at least with low compliance cartridges,

I'm M.

How do you find the Timestep headshell have been considering trying one

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    How do you find the Timestep headshell have been considering trying one
    Rather lovely. It lives up to preconceptions about what something made from ebony should sound like, eg civilised, delicate and sonorous.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast