+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A decent integrated

I'm Geoff.

There's a decent looking second hand Topping TP Class T amp on ebay. I've used one, it's a rather smooth, slightly warm sound and pretty effective through Tannoys. 80 wpc, so no shortage of power. Quite compact (but surprisingly hefty), two line level inputs and very nicely built.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOPPING-T...UAAOSwI7ZceqWI

(quite tempted by this one myself actually )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Josie.

.... hmm.

I used to have a Musical Fidelity A-X2 a long time ago... does anyone think that would be a match?

I thought it was quite good, but bettered with monoblock amps.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Would a Quad 909 or maybe a vintage 303 or 405-2 matched with a Tisbury or something be a good match with tannoys?
    Don't know about Tannoys but from experience with my 303 and 405-2, passives are not the best option for preamp duties.
    Using modern sources, both amps are too sensitive to get a decent travel with a passive - unless you attenuate their inputs (which is doable but a faff)

Also you would really need to source a recently serviced example (particularly with the 303) or get it done by Quad (costly IME)

I'm inactive.

Thanks, Grant.

Yes the QUAD VENA is a nice bit of kit. I've personally used a small Digital amp on my speakers and it sounded surprisingly good even at 15watts.

It's a bit pricey though... and she would need the VENA 2 as well as that I believe has the phono stage... mind you, a seperate stage wouldn't be bad to get. It's just the price.
    I have the original Vena and it is indeed a great sounding and very versatile amp - should be able to pick one up reasonably priced since the new one was launched.
    There are plenty of Cambridge Audio phono stages floating about for not too much money. I have the CP2 and it's a decent show (got 'as new' for £75).
    Last edited by mikmas; 12-03-2019 at 16:16.

I'm Phil.

may i thoughly recommend this amp. absolutely delightful sound which sounds much more expensive than it is . i think it would sound very good indeed with tannoys

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-ARCAM-A75plus
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Svend.

Hi Svend.

She likes my amp sound which is a very good valve amp so I'd like to recommend something to match with that in a way. Her speakers are 12" Golds in Lancasters (a bit of my influence there, lol)

So it doesn't need to be mega-watty - 50watts would be more than enough but not valve as she's got a young one and one with a tendency of throwing stuff. lol

Sugden, not heard any amplifiers by them, only a few cd players over the years. I was never a fan of those TBH but amp wise it's interesting.

Her room is about 4/5m square-ish. So a little bigger than mine.

Josie, the Sugden sound has been described by some as valve-like, at least for their older gear like the one I mentioned. I can say from experience that my C28/P28 combo sounds noticeably more fluid, full and rich than the solid state amps in my main system (modded Sony TA-E86B pre; Belles OCM200 power). The latter pair have a sweet detailed sound, very natural and neutral, quite dynamic. But the Sugdens are slightly warmer (still neutral, just richer), less detailed but not in a bad way, and really are able to project sound into the room and fill the space. Very dynamic and alive. Far more so than the Quad amps that I have heard, which have sounded dull and lifeless in comparison (apologies to Quad fans, but that's been my experience). Sugdens are wonderful.

BTW, their build quality is also very good. It is unlikely that they will need service (depending on model I suppose). Right after buying mine a few years ago I brought them to Dan Santoni (moniker Black Dog here on AOS...great guy) for a check up, and there was nothing that needed doing, not even a leaky cap. Pretty impressive for decades-old amps.

Hope this helps...

Svend

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    may i thoughly recommend this amp. absolutely delightful sound which sounds much more expensive than it is . i think it would sound very good indeed with tannoys

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-ARCAM-A75plus
    THIS!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123