+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A decent integrated

I'm Mike.

Josie everyone is going to give you something different to consider, if I was looking for something sub £100 I'd be looking at a late 70's or early 80's Technics class A

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Josie.

Thanks all.

Another option is something like a quad 405-2 with a passive or maybe a 303?

Just thinking about the cohesion with tannoy speakers. Quad are a good match me thinks.

The Sony amps look nice though I must admit.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Josie everyone is going to give you something different to consider, if I was looking for something sub £100 I'd be looking at a late 70's or early 80's Technics class A
    Technics... Not thought of them.

How about TRIO too?

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi all.

A friend of mine is looking for a decent integrated amplifier for not much outlay. Phono stage would be good too.

Her speakers are Tannoys but can't remember the type.

Can anyone recommend something, old or new it's not an issue so long as it sounds decent.

Many thanks
    Josie

I have a Marantz PM40SE which is a very nice amp, it was my back up amp, and I was going to use in second system, but not going to now. All I want is £70 plus P&P.

or see

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Cambridge-A...9001620&chn=ps

Personally I think you friend would get a better result phono wise with a https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cambridge...UAAOSwRW9cfBCy

these are great MM/MC phonostages and what I started with

Or if your friend is going to go MM then https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMBRIDGE...IAAOSwAzVcgXQs

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Craig.

I recently bought an Onkyo A9211 for my bedroom system , and have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how good it is!
    A healthy 60 wpc, and a phono Input too.
    Outlets for 2 sets of speakers too if that’s important to you.
    I’d certainly recommend it for a system without too much outlay.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Svend.

Josie, does your friend have any preferences about sound character? As in, very detailed, fast, light-footed; or more fluid, rounded, tube-like? Answering that question might narrow it down. If more fluid, tube-like sound is what she likes, I can highly recommend the older Sugden integrateds like the A28. I have the separates versions of that model (C28/P28) and they sound outstanding. They lack only a bit of detail in their presentation, otherwise they are hard to fault. Very full sound, dynamic, punchy, but never harsh. Phono stage is very good also. I've not heard many Tannoys, so can't comment on matching, but they sound great with my KEF Ref. 103.2 and have no trouble driving what can be a difficult speaker for many amps of lower power (used in a small room being the caveat there). Prices of the older Sugden gear should be reasonable.

Best of luck finding something.

Svend

I'm Josie.

Hi Svend.

She likes my amp sound which is a very good valve amp so I'd like to recommend something to match with that in a way. Her speakers are 12" Golds in Lancasters (a bit of my influence there, lol)

So it doesn't need to be mega-watty - 50watts would be more than enough but not valve as she's got a young one and one with a tendency of throwing stuff. lol

Sugden, not heard any amplifiers by them, only a few cd players over the years. I was never a fan of those TBH but amp wise it's interesting.

Her room is about 4/5m square-ish. So a little bigger than mine.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Grant.

You could also take a look at the digital integrated thread Josie. quite a few amps mentioned there too that also have digital inputs. It can be handy having both.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...47#post1069047
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Josie.

Thanks, Grant.

Yes the QUAD VENA is a nice bit of kit. I've personally used a small Digital amp on my speakers and it sounded surprisingly good even at 15watts.

It's a bit pricey though... and she would need the VENA 2 as well as that I believe has the phono stage... mind you, a seperate stage wouldn't be bad to get. It's just the price.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Josie.

Would a Quad 909 or maybe a vintage 303 or 405-2 matched with a Tisbury or something be a good match with tannoys?

Never used any Quad on my speakers so I wouldn't know if any of those models are any good with such a sensitive speaker.

Although I do know that Abbey Road used to use 303's with their TANNOY monitors so there might be something there.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast