+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low quality signal to harm the speakers?

I'm Veiko.

Default Low quality signal to harm the speakers?

Hello!

I have noticed that some audio-fans don't connect their TV-s to their
    precious sound systems.
    This makes me wonder, do they/YOU(?) consider this to potentially damage their
    pricey speakers, considering that the signal from TV may not be as
    good as say from the CD-player?
    The audio signal I get from my TV is definitely very poor.
    It comes via internet to "box" then via scart to TV, then via RCA to Receiver.
    I am also experiencing occasional cracklings and bass-thumps from speakers when operating
    the TV, say turning it off/on.

I have no fancy speakers but would you warn against such practice?

Thank you!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I've had my TV connected to the audio gear for years, without problems.
    It's a great way of bypassing the crappy TV audio internals.
    In my case the TV has a Toslink out, so that is connected to my external DAC, which also has my Squeezebox Touch connected to it.

That is 95% of my audio playback on just one amplifier input - the other input I use is for my turntable setup.
    I don't have problems with cracks and bangs.
    If I did have such problems I would switch inputs or at least mute the amplifier output before doing anything with the TV. A remote controllable amp is a godsend in such instances.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

unless the sound is heavily distorted and cranked up loud you're not going to damage the speakers.

I use HDMI from box to telly then optical cable from telly to amplifier (with built in DAC). Most channels don't have a cd quality sound feed but they all sound acceptable. Although I still miss NICAM, that gave a great sound IMO.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SLP1200 CD Player * Nelson Pass DCB1 Pre amp / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

I'm Veiko.

Thank you so much.
    The distortion however sometimes happens.
    A family member uses the box remote, and tunes the volume down - then another member likes the receiver remote, and tunes it way up on receiver - and she pushes it way up, if the box is at minimum volume.
    Then she calls on me and says: "whats wrong with the sound?" - The sound has picked up a lot of electric noise. I think I will do smth with the box remote, I will disable it somehow.
    I have been trying to use "one4all" remote, I think I will give another go.

Thank you so much again for your time!!

I'm Martin.

I think your family member is telling you that they want a more powerful home cinema system
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SLP1200 CD Player * Nelson Pass DCB1 Pre amp / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

I'm Mark.

The reason I donít have sources like my phone or TV connected to my hi-fi isnít because they will do any harm, itís just that they sound awful!

100% Analogue

I'm Mark.

Oh, the distortion you are sometimes getting is because you effectively have two volume controls, and amplifiers, in series in the system - turn the source one up to maximum and use the other to actually adjust the volume - don't use a combination of both.

100% Analogue

I'm Alex.

Going back many decades, TVs might have had what they called a live chassis. In this case, one side of the mains (hopefully neutral) is connected to the TV chassis.

This would make connecting an external speaker or speaker / amplifier pretty dangerous. I used to do this safely using an isolating transformer.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Going back many decades, TVs might have had what they called a live chassis. In this case, one side of the mains (hopefully neutral) is connected to the TV chassis.

This would make connecting an external speaker or speaker / amplifier pretty dangerous. I used to do this safely using an isolating transformer.
    yup, you had issues with connecting a scope too philips made one that had a tendancy to give you shocks or blow up if you were not careful... probably late 70's early 80's
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm nigel.

If your TV box has a digital output, Virgin has optical...Sky both optical and coaxial, you can purchase a DAC from Amazon for less than 30 quid which will give a much improved sound quality.
    You could, of course connect via your TV's optical out....most TV's made over the past 12 years have one.
    Your box will likely have a setting buried deep in the menus to adjust sound delay if you experience lip synch issues

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast